PRESS RELEASE: Arc'teryx Climb Academy returns to the Lake District: May 25th – 27th

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC/UKH Gear 10 Apr 2024

Today, clinic tickets go on sale for Arc'teryx Climb Academy Lake District - May 25 – 27, 2024. Set in Great Langdale in the heart of the Lake District National Park, this boutique-styled Academy brings together world-class athletes, top-certified guides, and brand partners to deliver a range of clinics, workshops, and a supportive climbing experience no matter if you're new to the sport or pushing your limits.

Read more

Derek Ryden 12 Apr 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I'm sure this will be a great event, but "BOUTIQUE-STLYE ACADEMY" for f**k's sake!?

Post edited at 10:12
 Rick Graham 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Derek Ryden:

> I'm sure this will be a great event, but "BOUTIQUE-STLYE ACADEMY" for f**k's sake!?

Thanks for being braver than me in posting .

Presumably the dislike was for mis spelling style or muted swearing.

Boutique used to mean small independant shop selling good quality products. Nowadays I just want to puke when I see it.

Derek Ryden 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

I spent much of my climbing apprenticeship in Langdale, over 50 years ago. Nevertheless I love the modern climbing scene including its competitions, training, and most of all, its inclusivity. But applying the vernacular of the urban poseur to one of trad climbing's holiest places is just asking to be ridiculed!

In reply to Derek Ryden:

Langdale is busy enough on a bh weekend without events like this adding to the load.

I will likely avoid the valley and look elsewhere to indulge in some "boutique sending".

Robert Durran 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Derek Ryden:

> I'm sure this will be a great event, but "BOUTIQUE-STLYE ACADEMY" for f**k's sake!?

One of those occasions where you think "you couldn't make it up". Yet someone did.

I also find it slightly disturbing that "UK climbing culture" is now about athletes, clinics, brand partners and workshops. Boutique workshops perhaps.

In reply to Robert Durran:

I share your disturbance, all I can suggest is "stay in your lane", carry on climbing as you usually would, don't engage with the nonsense. These events are well advertised and thus easily avoided.

Maybe there is some mileage in a "where to avoid this weekend" calendar.

CantClimbTom 17 Apr 2024
In reply to Ennerdaleblonde:

Not so!

Unless he makes the effort to engage, he is at high risk. What if he made incorrect pairings? What then?

Pairing apparel that is clearly part of last Fall-Winter's collection from one brand partner, with pants based on a color pallette from the current Summer collection of another brand partner? That'd be just unthinkable!

Lankyman 17 Apr 2024
In reply to CantClimbTom:

It was great in the good old days when you could just casually fling on an old vest and trackie bottoms and tuck them into a pair of red socks inside your blown-out EB's. Nowadays, I have to scan up and down the road every outing just in case the Fashion Police are patrolling. Long live the Ronhill!

CantClimbTom 17 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

I was wearing Ron Hills Saturday and Sunday (although underneath a drysuit undersuit) long live stirrups!

I did wear EB with socks, but never red ones. I've always been a rebel

Post edited at 09:02

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...