Advice on buying Durston X-mid 1p

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stone0917 11 Mar 2024

Hi guys!

I am looking to buy the durston x-mid 1p tent for summer use

product+ shipping= 270 usd

but also I see it says estimated duty or tax due on arrival = 90 usd

Does it mean I have to pay that amount once it is delivered?

please see image

Thanks!

Pedro50 11 Mar 2024
In reply to stone0917:

Yes, have Pmed you.

ben b 12 Mar 2024
In reply to stone0917:

Yep. It’s a UK import thing (go us!) and required, unless you know someone in the USA who might want to use it for a night and send it on second hand…

Nice tents though - I have a solid and a mesh 2P, highly recommended 

b

In reply to stone0917:

I investigated this further as I have my eye on a solid xmid 1.

If you order through Kaviso and choose "FedEx International Connect Plus Duties and Taxes Included" then you pay the duties and taxes up front, in the case of the xmid1 solid the breakdown is:

Xmid1 solid - $269

Shipping - $29.81

Duties and taxes - $104.85

Total to be paid - $403.66

At current exchange rates, this equates to £315.50, very tempting for such a top notch tent.

Post edited at 23:06
 Run_Ross_Run 13 Mar 2024
In reply to stone0917:

There's discussions about the Xmid being available soon with both solid and mesh as a package so would suite uk summer and spring/autumn.  Obvious savings to be had if you want to increase the versatility by buying this way. 

Post edited at 09:56
 ben b 13 Mar 2024
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Yep Dan suggested by the end of this month they should have the inners available... which will be great, given UK weather. Note the solid inner has a fair amount of mesh still higher up on the walls for ventilation, but unless lots of windblown fine sand or snow that should be OK. 

b

In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

A logical step. Note that the solid version has modifications to the outer too - buckles at the bottom of the zips, reinforced guying points and ridge line.

Glyno 14 Mar 2024
In reply to stone0917:

I bought mine by the method described above by WildAboutWalking, opted for standard delivery and it arrived in 4 days!
Very well designed and made tent. As mentioned, both solid and mesh inners available to buy separately this year sometime.

Great support and advise from Dan Durston who posts on trek-lite.com and Reddit forums and Durston fb group.

In reply to Glyno:

4 days is pretty good!

And yes, I've seen Dan Durston active on Trek-Lite.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...