2 person backpacking tent with decent vestibule

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Looking at a Fallraven Abisko Shape 2 but wondering if anyone else has a similar (cheaper?) tent to recommend.

I currently have a Hubba Hubba which I'd like to change for something a bit more robust for windy conditions and a bit more space to cook / store bags.

Post edited at 16:17
In reply to featuresforfeet:

If you want space and robustness, the MSR Tindheim 2 is a cracking tent. Not the lightest though. https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/camping/tents+bivvys/msr_tindheim_2_-_th...

zb1 15 Apr 2024

Worth keeping an eye on here and FB Marketplace. If you're not in a rush, there are some bargains floating about.

I was in a similar situation a few years back and ended up with a second hand 5ish year old Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT that I got for under £500 off Marketplace. ended up with a Hilleberg Anaris too. Also got a 16' Old Town open canoe in very good condition for a bargain price last year.

Seen a couple of Fjallraven tents on there recently. If you're really lucky the drive to pick it up will be on the way to a nice weekend trip in the Lakes or something similar.

Whenever I am looking for something like that I'm willing to travel a bit to pick up (within reason) and I never transfer money until I've seen the item in person. Old fashioned cash is quite handy in this regard. 

Most of all you need patience. Currently on the lookout for an Aiguille Alpine rucksack, one will appear at some point, but I'm not in desperate need so....

Good luck

Toerag 16 Apr 2024

Secondhand Hilleberg Kaitum 2? (if you can find one, I've never seen one other than mine).  It's essentially a double porch Nallo 2. Pretty big inner for a 2 man with no worries about tall people pushing inners against outers with their feet. You can easily put 80litre rucsacs in one porch and cook in the other. I doubt there's anything that gives you as much real estate with as little weight. Good build quality. Pitches outer first, or both together, inner can be used on it's own. Downsides - it's long, so not so good for confined pitches. Needs a lot of pitching (18 pegs), will suffer condensation if you don't pitch it to allow the wind to blow through, it's a tunnel so can be flappy, and the silnylon material stretches a lot when wet - if it rains in the night you may wake up to a flappy tent.  When I got mine there wasn't really any alternatives on the market, other things were either noticeably heavier or pitched inner first which is no good for year-round UK use.  Taunton Leisure would be the place to look at Hilleberg and other decent brands. The Keron 2 and Helags 2 are essentially the tougher and summer variants of the same design.

Post edited at 18:49
 Andy Say 16 Apr 2024

https://alpkit.com/products/jaran-2?variant=40698486947945

I like it 👍 Reasonably light, double porch and a reasonable price.

In reply to Andy Say:

That looks a pretty good compromise of price and weight but I’m not convinced by tents where the poles are floating (ie. don’t go all the way to the ground) for windy conditions.

Andy Say 17 Apr 2024

But the two main poles do exactly that, the 'cross pole' is really just a spacer and gives a bit more stability.

And yes, if that 'cross pole' went all the way to the ground within the porches it would be really solid! Wild Country used to do a tent like that ('Tornado'?) that was pretty bombproof!

In reply to Andy Say:

Essentially how the MSR Access tents work - similar shape to hubba but a full cross pole

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...