Trouble in Chamonix and on Mt Blanc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 14 Jul 2023

It appears that the local mayor in Chamonix, a controversial figure at best is at it again. The guide Christoph Profit removed some safety stakes from the mountain and the mayor has seen fit to prosecute Profit for what he has done. The mayors other actions include banning climbers from sleeping on the summit of Mt Blanc, and fining a Latvian climber for carrying a flag to the summit. The full story is here...

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/climbing/a-legendary-alpini...

I'm all for protecting the environment and making climbing a safer sport, but surely this kind on intrusion into the sport is petty and ill-thought.

HammondR 14 Jul 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

It isn’t the mayor of Chamonix it’s the mayor of Saint Gervais. He’s been puddled for years

Profit removed the stakes last season. There doesn’t seem to be much new here.  

As for “safer sport”, climbing Mont Blanc or anywhere else outdoors in the alps or uk (where I have climbed and skied for the last 37 years) never struck me as a sport. 

Groundhog 15 Jul 2023
In reply to HammondR:

Eh? Climbing not a sport? What is it then?

Derry 15 Jul 2023
In reply to Groundhog:

> Eh? Climbing not a sport? What is it then?

Hobby, activity, pastime, leisure, freedom, challenge.... some of it is sport but not for most participants

In reply to HammondR:

I suppose, mountaineering via the normal routes is not anymore a sport the way Hemingway defined it. Still dangerous though, until a certain mayor puts up a lift to the summit. 

OP Sean Kelly 15 Jul 2023
In reply to HammondR:

> It isn’t the mayor of Chamonix it’s the mayor of Saint Gervais. He’s been puddled for years

> Profit removed the stakes last season. There doesn’t seem to be much new here.  

>  

> As for “safer sport”, climbing Mont Blanc or anywhere else outdoors in the alps or uk (where I have climbed and skied for the last 37 years) never struck me as a sport. 

It will be bullfighting next that they target!

HammondR 15 Jul 2023
In reply to Groundhog:

An element of competition is intrinsic to my understanding of a sport. I have always regarded climbing as pursued by the vast majority (outside the very limited world of Olympic and other competition) as an activity. Dangerous, adventurous, life changing etc. But not a sport.

Especially plodding up Mont Blanc

Same with recreational and adventurous skiing.

Others may differ. Fair enough.

Groundhog 16 Jul 2023
In reply to HammondR:

I have long held the view that any activity carried out on a prepared ground ie football, tennis, golf etc and has a competitive element is a game. (It's called the Olympic "Games" after all ). And how snooker and darts can be considered to be sports is beyond me.

A sport is an activity that doesn't require competition, and is carried out in a natural environment ie climbing, caving, skiing, hang gliding, fishing, even hunting (which I don't like!) etc. is a sport. One can go out and have great days "sport" on your own.

Unfortunately I can't find anyone who agrees with me!

Sorry for leading this thread off topic.

Fruit 16 Jul 2023
In reply to Groundhog:

Pointlessly dangerous pastime 

CantClimbTom 16 Jul 2023
In reply to HammondR:

"safe"???

Many years ago, having crossed the Grand Couloir when it was quiet cold early morning (Dr Jekyll), then looking back seen it rapidly change to raging death (Mr Hyde) as the sun warmed it, I'm not sure if I'd call the ordinary route (well.. the most popular voie normale) "safe"

But I would call it sport, as much as many other outdoor activities

Andrew Wilson 17 Jul 2023
In reply to Groundhog:

This makes sense to me, seems Hemingway had it the wrong way around. 

montyjohn 17 Jul 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> "safe"???

> Many years ago, having crossed the Grand Couloir

> But I would call it sport

Dodgeball is definitely a sport.

montyjohn 17 Jul 2023
In reply to Derry:

> Hobby, activity, pastime, leisure, freedom, challenge.... some of it is sport but not for most participants

Sport (Oxford definition) - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

The bit in bold I think we can all agree applies to climbing.

The rest is the grey area.

If you're going for a hike, in which the length, duration and destination is flexible and you;re not pushing yourself, there's no competition, therefore not a sport. It;s really just a walk.

But, if your aim is to climb a peak for example, you've challenged yourself to doing it, then you are affectively competing against yourself, so I would call this a sport.

In reply to Groundhog:

> I have long held the view that any activity carried out on a prepared ground ie football, tennis, golf etc and has a competitive element is a game. (It's called the Olympic "Games" after all ). And how snooker and darts can be considered to be sports is beyond me.

Maybe this is why "sport climbing" is called thus: it's on a "prepared ground"!

Post edited at 10:01
 Brass Nipples 17 Jul 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I’ve taken up the sport of pavement walking.

Pero 17 Jul 2023
In reply to Groundhog:

> I have long held the view that any activity carried out on a prepared ground ie football, tennis, golf etc and has a competitive element is a game. (It's called the Olympic "Games" after all ).

The Olympic Games consists of events, rather than games. The word Games seems more like a generic term to describe the whole thing.

Likewise, many events at the Winter Olympic Games would not individually described as as a game. 

You must be baffled by terms like SkySports, TalkSport and, the one I remember growing up in Scotland, Sportscene. And, I guess, the term professional sportsman ought to be replaced by professional gamesman?

In reply to Brass Nipples:

> I’ve taken up the sport of pavement walking.

That's actually quite a dangerous competitive sport because it now has to compete with the sport of pavement cycling.

john arran 17 Jul 2023
In reply to Groundhog:

My rough definitions:

Game: Any personally challenging or competitive activity in which success is achieved principally by luck and/or by strategy. E.g. board games, parlour games, many playground games.

Sport: Any game in which physical performance (strength, endurance, accuracy and/or control) is a principal determinant of success.

Note that competition is not essential in either case. Solitaire is a game, as mountaineering is a sport. Conversely, many competitive activities are neither sports nor games, e.g. talent competitions.

chris_r 17 Jul 2023
In reply to Fruit:

> Pointlessly dangerous pastime 

Climbing, or using UKC?

mrphilipoldham 17 Jul 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

Your own definition states against another so it's not possible to sportingly compete against yourself.

LG-Mark 17 Jul 2023
In reply to Groundhog:

> Eh? Climbing not a sport? What is it then?

Religion

Brass Nipples 17 Jul 2023
In reply to John Stainforth:

> That's actually quite a dangerous competitive sport because it now has to compete with the sport of pavement cycling.

And pavement driving, the most dangerous of all

Fruit 17 Jul 2023
In reply to chris_r:

👍

Morgan Woods 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Off topic pointless thread diversion is UKC sport at its finest

Post edited at 04:26
 Fat Bumbly2 18 Jul 2023

Objective danger on Uxbridge Road

Groundhog 18 Jul 2023

"Maybe this is why "sport climbing" is called thus: it's on a "prepared ground"!"

I have always hated the term "sport climbing". To my mind there is nothing sporting about it

Groundhog 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Pero:

"You must be baffled by terms like SkySports, TalkSport and, the one I remember growing up in Scotland, Sportscene."

Yes, I am!    

jon 19 Jul 2023
In reply to HammondR:

> It isn’t the mayor of Chamonix it’s the mayor of Saint Gervais. He’s been puddled for years

Indeed, and to the point that is now Saint Gervais Mont Blanc... due to his never ending rivalry with Chamonix Mont Blanc.

Chris_Mellor 19 Jul 2023
In reply to jon:

Ricky Gervais?

wercat 20 Jul 2023
In reply to Groundhog:

I think your interpretation of sport is the old and traditional one.  People these days are wanting to place restrictions on word meanings limiting to a subset of their original.  The original climbers would definitely have called it sport. 

wercat 20 Jul 2023
In reply to john arran:

Sport also tests mental attitude, not just physical strength.

john arran 20 Jul 2023
In reply to wercat:

> Sport also tests mental attitude, not just physical strength.

Completely agree. But so does playing poker, and dancing ballet. Not sure what your point is.

wercat 20 Jul 2023
In reply to john arran:

I was agreeing with you about the physical part but saying perhaps it wasn't quite sufficient not to mention the mental.  That is not the same as saying that mental exertion on its own can constitute a sport.

Hooo 20 Jul 2023

I always assumed "sport climbing" was a derogatory term, meaning playing at climbing rather than doing the real thing.

IainL 20 Jul 2023
In reply to Hooo:

Why not confuse things and have ‘sport climbing’ and ‘sporting climbing’.

Hooo 20 Jul 2023
In reply to IainL:

Definitely not sporting climbing! That's what the BMC have been blowing all our subscriptions on.

Robert Durran 20 Jul 2023
In reply to IainL:

> Why not confuse things and have ‘sport climbing’ and ‘sporting climbing’.

And "sporty climbing".

Niall_H 20 Jul 2023
In reply to Brass Nipples:

Pavement walking can include a sigificant element of competition if you're trying to reach the bus stop before the driver closes the doors

OP Sean Kelly 21 Jul 2023
In reply to Niall_H:

> Pavement walking can include a sigificant element of competition if you're trying to reach the bus stop before the driver closes the doors

Pavement walking today comes with a very high risk factor as lycra clad cyclists whizz past at x knots, missing you by inches, and no warning bell sounded!

C Witter 21 Jul 2023
In reply to Derry:

> Hobby, activity, pastime, leisure, freedom, challenge.... some of it is sport but not for most participants

A "hobby"?! That's even worse than calling it a "sport"! Hobbies are... things like making buses out of wine boxes... You know... unmentionable things done by sociopaths.

Climbing is... a passion.

Post edited at 14:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...