Tent Pegs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jafn1997 10 Feb 2023

I'm having a look around for tent pegs that will last and stay put in the worst of conditions. Multiple types of pegs are probably the best answer. I'm just looking for high quality trustworthy pegs.

In reply to Jafn1997:

If it’s really bad dubbing up is a way Not 2 pegs in one hole one behind the other say foot length in line  

In reply to Jafn1997:

When I am with a car, rather than backpacking, I've always found good heavyweight, round steel pegs (about 6 mm in diameter, by about 20 cm in length) to be generally the most satisfactory. These usually stay put, without the need for doubling up. The other essential piece of equipment is a rubber mallet for whamming them into the ground. 

FactorXXX 11 Feb 2023
In reply to Jafn1997:

> I'm having a look around for tent pegs that will last and stay put in the worst of conditions. Multiple types of pegs are probably the best answer. I'm just looking for high quality trustworthy pegs.

Have you tried Googling 'Pegging'?

damowilk 11 Feb 2023
In reply to Jafn1997:

I’ve found that the most reliable in the widest range of placements, certainly one of the best for its weight, is the DAC triangle profile aluminium peg. Cheaper lookalikes have never been as good.

The best for sheer strength is a larger size titanium nail, but they usually have poor cord catchment and the guylines/loops can just pop off.

MSR ground hogs also get an honourable mention, but cheaper rip offs have been some of the worst pegs I’ve used, seeming to bend very easily.

My tents have different combinations of the above, with at least 2 spare/for extra guylines. 

Dr.S at work 11 Feb 2023
In reply to Jafn1997:

> I'm having a look around for tent pegs that will last and stay put in the worst of conditions. Multiple types of pegs are probably the best answer. I'm just looking for high quality trustworthy pegs.

These are the lads then:

https://www.attwoollsmanufacturing.co.uk/25mm-dia-x-750mm-tent-peg-hook-sel...

Dr.S at work 11 Feb 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work:

More seriously you are bang on the money that a good selection is key - I recently got some of the very wide channel pegs (TN, MSR, Hilliberg all make examples) designed for snow - heavy but great if camping on boggy ground.

I tend to have a mix of Ti hooks for non critical points, and some beefier things for the 4 main pegging points (laser). If your tent really depends on the tension from the pegs for stability then can’t really scrimp.

JimbotheScot 11 Feb 2023

Big fan of these in 20cm

https://bigskyinternational.com/en-gb/products/tube-steak-tent-stake-peg-ki...

Also mixed in with titanium nail pegs will go through anything stony and groundhog stakes

crayefish 12 Feb 2023
In reply to Jafn1997:

For 'normal' camping (I.e. no snow or sand where I would use blizzard snow stakes with deadman cords and clips), I take a mixture of 4 types of peg, varying slightly if I'm going lightweight or not and what ground I'm expecting.

I find a 50/50 mix of MSR (mini) groundhogs and MSR (carbon) cores work very well.  Normal groundhogs and cores for strength, and the minis and carbon cores for when I'm going with my lightweight solo tent.  Maybe even a mix of all 4 if I'm feeling exotic.

Groundhogs work well for the softer stuff and the cores for harder ground.  If the ground is all softish, I use the groundhogs for the main points (I.e. ends of my tunnel tents) and leave the lighter mini or cores for the mid or guy points which can have less stress.  These days I tend to keep a few extra carbon cores even if I'm expecting soft ground because they're so damn light.

I might very well be over thinking it... but hey, I'm an engineer (and I have a very low peg attrition rate).

pec 12 Feb 2023
In reply to Jafn1997:

I've been using these pegs quite a bit recently. They are very light and give good holding power. The pegs themselves are surprising strong and can be re-moulded back into shape if they get bent. Not so easy to drive into hard dry ground or stoney soil though.

They come in various lengths, 90, 120, 150 and 220mm depending on what you want them for.

https://www.swisspiranha.com/about/?lang=en

OP Jafn1997 21 Feb 2023
In reply to Jafn1997:

Thanks for all the reply's!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...