Swiss hut suggestion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MuckyMorris 29 Mar 2019

Hi. Can anyone suggest a hut for an overnight with the following criteria? I am struggling with the German on their website and hoped that someone may have personal knowledge

Scenic, and with food available, open on 20th June

Within 30 - 45 mins easy walk of a lift

Accessible by public transport between somewhere Interlaken and Geneva

My wife is recovering from a back operation you see so isn't up to long walks or scrambles but would like to stay in a hut for the location.

Might be difficult I know but maybe someone has knowledge. There's a couple around Chamonix that meet these criteria but I would like to do Zurich to Geneva via Lauterbrunn and Jungfraujoch.

Thanks in advance.

Doug 29 Mar 2019
In reply to MuckyMorris:

Does it have to be a hut? I've only stayed there in the ski touring season but the Hotel Schwarenbach above Kandersteg is quite close to a cable car station & although I can't remember much about the food it can't have been bad as then I would have remembered (if that makes sense)

OP MuckyMorris 29 Mar 2019
In reply to Doug:

Thanks certainly ticks all the boxes, other than access. Its a 90 minute walk by what I currently know but I'll keep researching around there. Thanks for the nice suggestion.  

Post edited at 11:02
 Doug 29 Mar 2019
In reply to MuckyMorris:

"Its a 90 minute walk"

was much less on skis (at least in my memory from my only visit several years ago)

OP MuckyMorris 29 Mar 2019
In reply to Doug:

Found that on one website as halfway along a 3 hour walk. Saw something else that says its 2 15 to Gemmipass, the whole way, so it may be doable. So long as its not steep an hour may be achievable but I'll look at a map and see where it takes me. Found loads of other excursions by checking this out as well so thanks!

EuanM 29 Mar 2019
In reply to MuckyMorris:

Hotel Fluhalp above Zermatt? 

Great views of the Matterhorn, good food and a hot shower if you’re willing to pay for it.

If you take the cable cars it’s about a 40 min walk without too much ascent (we walked up so that’s a rough guess)

davestevo 29 Mar 2019
In reply to MuckyMorris:

Britannia Hut approx 3000m just under an hour gentle walk from Felskinn sation.  Accessed from Saas Fee. Great position and views.

Tonto 29 Mar 2019
In reply to MuckyMorris:

I would recommend the Wengen, Mannlichen, Kleine Scheidegg tryptich-accommodation available in Summer at all 3 points. Perhaps not as majestic as the more glamorous, & more famous, Eiger, Monch, Jungfrau tryptich but they still offer a spectacular view. 

The walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg under the Eiger is very well engineered & contours the mountainside so no big ups or downs, overall it is downhill. See here:-

https://map.wanderland.ch/?lang=en&bgLayer=pk&logo=yes&season=s...

Transport easy (though I believe engineering work is going on Summer 2019 on the Grindelwald side for the new gondola). A stay at Mannlichen or Kleine Scheidegg would certainly fit the 'hut' bill in terms of location & scenery..  ..but far more civilised than a hut. My choices would be here:-

https://www.berghaus-maennlichen.ch/de/Sommer

or here:-

https://www.scheidegg-hotels.ch/index_e.php

the latter hotel is better if you like watching trains..  ..and being at the foot of the Eiger Nordwand. At least an order of magnitude more spectacular & atmospheric than the Gemmipass from the Kandersteg side. The maennlinchen is far more hut like in terms of isolated situation but nothing like a hut in terms of creature comforts.

Wengen is very close to Interlaken & easily accessible from either Zurich or Geneva-I far prefer the Zurich route. Select to travel to Interlaken via Luzern & Meiringen over Brunigpass rather than round the houses (flattish ground) via Bern. Stunning scenery & an adventure in itself.

I wish you & your wife well

Mike

9fingerjon 29 Mar 2019
In reply to MuckyMorris:

I’d second the Schwarenbach- nice spot to spend some time and easy walk from the cable car. 45-60 minute walk. 

But a better option could be the hotel Steinbok which is in a lovely spot in the gasterntal - a lovely non taxing walk up from kandersteg and has a real away from it all feeling. If you didn’t fancy the hike up or down from kandersteg there is a bus service along the dirt road which will have started in June. https://steinbock-gasterntal.ch/en/

OP MuckyMorris 30 Mar 2019
In reply to MuckyMorris:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Some relate to places that I found on the internet but couldn't find info about the journey in so just the sort of stuff I was looking for thank you. 

Jungfraujoch railway is on the list of things to do so will be staying in the Grindelwald Kleine Scheidigg area anyway so thats great, and the other options dovetail nicely with heading over to Geneva. It needs to be there for a Alpine course starting n Cham on the Saturday, if they get the numbers to run it.

So thanks again, great ideas!

All the best, Paul

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...