Lake Roopkund, what do you think?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Arbu 16 Aug 2020

Interesting article from the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/ideas/videos/the-ancient-mystery-of-the-skeleton-lake....

The skeletons are Indians from various different times, one South-east Asian person, and Greek people from the 18th Century.

What do people on here think? I think the people must have died in situ - I can't see that anyone would have gone to the trouble of carrying corpses to leave them there. If you were going to do that at least you would choose somewhere more attractive - it's a scrappy little lake.

The lake is just below a pass which seems to have quite a well-trodden footpath over it. My theory would be that the site is prone to very strong winds, from the jet stream. It is very exposed to the west. People might have chosen to camp there over the years, before going over the pass. The wind picks up at night, comes right up the valley from the west, peoples' tents are blown away, and they die of hypothermia. Their bodies could end up in the lake without any human intervention. It doesn't explain why there was a load of Greek people there in the 18th Century, but it seems the best explanation to me.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I looked more closely on Google Earth and there is nothing to block the wind from the west, absolutely nothing. 

Post edited at 12:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...