Holiday in Europe where to?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 04 Jul 2022

Thinking of booking a holiday in September. Question is where would you go in Europe for a weeks hiking in September. More interested in bagging summits you can walk up (don't mind a scramble) than just trails. Cheaper the better and if I wouldn't need to hire a car all the better. Cheers in advance for replying.

Godwin 04 Jul 2022
In reply to Russell Lovett:

We had a great week around Lake Como, at Easter. The Trails are extremely well marked and we used the Cicerone guide to the area, so did not actually do any summits, but there are summits a plenty around there. The scenery with the backdrop of the Lake is stunning.
Bergamo is usually one of the cheaper places to fly to, and actually a nice place to visit in and of itself. However from the Airport you can get to the Lake easily by Train for about £6, and once there, it is easy to move around as a Train goes right up one side of the Lake, ferries are zipping all over the place, and there are good bus services apparently, but we never needed to use the bus. 
I would look at self catering though as eating out can get price, we stayed in Varrena.
Interestingly Italy has a 7000km path, and if you look here you may find inspiration for other venues https://sentieroitaliamappe.cai.it/index.php/view/map/?repository=sicaipubb...

mrphilipoldham 04 Jul 2022

Polish Tatras?

Forest Dump 04 Jul 2022

Transylvanian Alps? A network of huts and pretty cheap, peaks in the 2000 - 2500ish range. Brasov is the main town / city

Sierra Nevadas in Spain might still be too hot in September 

Post edited at 20:54
 Martin Haworth 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Russell Lovett: Scotland?

PaulW 05 Jul 2022

I watched the Tour of Slovenia cycle race and thought that looks a lovely place to go hiking/cycling/paddling.

Not investigated further yet though

abr1966 05 Jul 2022

I'd go to the Sierra Nevada....best of both worlds....good hills, big walks, hardly anyone there but you also get to come down to whitewashed villages and eat tapa, good seafood etc.....or go south and be by the sea...

Babika 05 Jul 2022
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> Polish Tatras?

Slovak Vysoke Tatry much better! 

All the best scrambling, climbing and summits are in Slovakia. Good value as well.

Babika 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Forest Dump:

Agree with this as well. Fagaras mountains in Romania were a revelation. 

mrphilipoldham 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Babika:

Possibly so, I haven't had the chance to visit so my recommendation based on my own good experience  

RX-78 05 Jul 2022

Julian alps in slovenia, go to triglav national park. Great lakes to visit like bled and bohinj, stunning views.

Toerag 05 Jul 2022

Bavaria / Tyrol. Fly to Munich with Easyjet, then Train down to Garmisch (or the Oberammergau area), or beyond to Mittenwald / Scharnitz / Innsbruck. Or fly to Memmingen with Ryanair (but I don't know what trains are like from there). Or fly to Innsbruck (probably more expensive).  Lots of summits between 1400 & 3000m so you have options if it's stinking hot or snowing at altitude. Oh, and Octoberfest might be on in the second half of the month.

In reply to PaulW:

Went to Slovenia a few years ago stayed for a week bagged Triglav and loads of surrounding peaks great place, friendly people and also very reasonable money wise. The scenery was stunning(see my photo gallery) I couldn't recommend Slovenia enough, great place.

In reply to Babika:

Have the guide book that covers Fagaras Ridge and was planing a complet traverse over it in about 5 days maybe I should reserect that plan.

In reply to abr1966:

This appeals to me think I'll do a bit more research on this location.

jimtitt 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Toerag:

Memmingen is on the rail line from Munich to Zurich so good, there is also a north/south line with 19 trains a day down to Oberstdorf so right in the Allgauer Alps.

abr1966 05 Jul 2022

The hills in southern Spain are very underrated....I had a few days walking in the Sierra Cabrera in Almeria a few years ago....really rated it....early starts help with it getting pretty hot at this time of year but each day we went to a different village and ate great food when we got down then sat on the beach in the evening watching the sun and drinking ice cold beer....my perfect day for sure!!

joe245 17 Jul 2022

Have to agree with the Slovenia recommendations. It’s stunning!

AlanLittle 17 Jul 2022
In reply to Toerag:

> Oh, and Octoberfest might be on in the second half of the month.

Can confirm Oktoberfest is on again this year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...