Guatemala: Independent travel and walking trips, rivers etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Eam1 20 Oct 2022

Hello, looking for some ideas.

Myself and my partner are hoping to get a trip to Central America, probably southern Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. 

We're happy to beach it in the former two but looking at having some adventures in Guatemala. Volcanoes come top of the list but any other ideas would be welcome.

She's not a climber but fit active and adventurous. We're hoping to stay away from organised trips and the more popular places. Something challenging and off the beaten track would be ideal

Have seen a couple of similar threads recently but can't find them on the search. Looks like the expertise is out there!

Thanks to anyone who can help. Cheers

OP Eam1 20 Oct 2022
In reply to Eam1:

Bump

Bog ninja 21 Oct 2022
In reply to Eam1:

My sister Helena’s partner Lhess Leiva runs bespoke tours around Antigua and to lake Atitlan (Tel +502 4675 1861). He is also passionate about teaching about the local Mayan culture. From his website ‘We offer bespoke day trips to surrounding areas of Antigua  or further afield including Lake Atitlan, the Pacific coast, Amatitlan lake, Pacaya volcano, the beautiful region of Tecpan (famous for its restaurants) and the often overlooked Mayan sites of Iximche and Reino Poqoman.

We can provide transport to local markets and towns outside of the tourist areas to get a real feel for Guatemala, such as Pastores (order some custom made leather boots), Santa Maria de Jesús (local market) located on one side of Agua volcano, the tranquil hilltop village of San Cristóbal el Alto, and San Juan del Obispo (take a Convent tour at the site of one of the oldest Catholic buildings in Central America or sample a cup of local artisanal hot chocolate).’

​it’s best to get him on his phone or via WhatsApp 

Bog ninja 21 Oct 2022
In reply to Eam1:

They also recommended two other guides in region

Miguel Pablo Sicay (search Facebook for Milpastours Atitlan)

Helena and Lhess said ‘There is a great guide at Lake Atitlan, great hikes and volcanoes, he's a friend of Lhess an important member of the Mayan community, you're not pnly hiking about him but also  a chance to learn about the culture and the importance of mother nature to the Mayan people, he also gives a cultural tour of Santiago de Atitlan that includes a visit to Maximon. He offers many great options of hikes for all levels and veru reasonably priced , lovely man.’

Bog ninja 21 Oct 2022
In reply to Eam1:

They also recommended Luisa Zea, in their own words ‘who featured in a Guardian article and big promotor of cycling in Guatemala made a docu on it, We know both guides personally, really fantastic people who are passionate about preserving the beauty and culture of Guatemala. Luisa zea travels all over Guatemala but is based mostly around Antigua and the lake.’

Her company is called ‘Time Out Getaways Guatemala’ and she can be found on Facebook.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/jun/19/world-top-10-local-travel-gu...

OP Eam1 21 Oct 2022
In reply to Eam1:

Thanks!

steve_gibbs 21 Oct 2022
In reply to Eam1:

I'd recommend flying fly in/out of Cancun, as you'll probs get it cheaper than to Guatemala City, Belize City, etc, plus the Yucatan is a safer for a warm-up, before heading south. Or at least start in Cancun and try find a return from further down.

The Yucatan is magic; Chichén Itzá, Uxmal, Tulum for its location more than the ruins, then Palenque, San Cristobal de las Casas, etc, then depending on how much time you've got, you could spend time in Guatemala (Lake Atitlan, etc), then across to Belize and back up (via Tulum), or continue further south. My pivotal memory of Belize is the entire country plays reggae from top to bottom, from dawn to dusk. 

Try dodge the crime-ridden cities and spend as much time in the countryside, however transport links inevitably demand the former, hence travel well before dark and be smart, etc, though it's always half luck. You certainly can't do worse than my friends, who got robbed within twenty minutes of flying into Guat City!

WillD 21 Oct 2022
In reply to Eam1:

Quetzal trekkers based out of xela (quetzaltenango) may be able to assist you on logistics/contacts in some less touristy areas. They usually run group hikes but I believe theyve not been running trips since covid, so may be able to assist you for a small donation or something ( they're a non profit helping fund a school or something, memory is rusty)

OP Eam1 22 Oct 2022
In reply to Eam1:

Thanks everyone 

In reply to Eam1:

I'm off to Guatemala at the end of December with my wife and did a bit of research into hiking some volcanoes as well. We're planning to do it all without a guide or company.

There are a ton of volcanos but from reading reviews it seems like there are a few of them where thieves are quite active.

The ones we decided on doing are Acatenago and Volcan Atitlan.

Acatenago is popular since from its summit you can see Fuego, an active volcano. Atitlan from what I read also seems safe since it's one of the more encouraged routes in the area by locals and I guess will have more people looking out for each other and also an increased police presence.

Hope this helps

OP Eam1 29 Oct 2022
In reply to Train to Summit:

That's grand thanks, enjoy your trip! Got my eye on those two as well as tajumulco

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...