Greenland Insurance Suggestions ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 barbeg 01 Nov 2021

Hi All,

Going to East Greenland in 2022 on an exploratory JG organised trip to potentially attempt some unclimbed peaks.  Many of the standard insurance offerings exclude Greenland, but where they do include it, they still exclude exploratory and unclimbed peaks.

Any suggestions as to where to secure appropriate insurance ?

Barbeg 

Robert Durran 01 Nov 2021
In reply to barbeg:

For a Greenland trip a few years ago, we looked into BMC and so on and found it exorbitant in cost or not possible (can't remember which). We ended up using Global Rescue (https://www.globalrescue.com/index.html), who will evacuate you to a hospital from anywhere a helicopter can land if you give them GPS coords (we took a gps and satellite phone). So we decided to do without actual mountain search and rescue (ie we would have had to self rescue above base camp). We also took out standard travel insurance. Cost seemed reasonable. They are an American organisation whose main business seems to be evacuating Americans working abroad in dodgy places in medical emergencies. I phoned them and checked up that they would do remote locations in Greenland.

OP barbeg 01 Nov 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

Thanks Robert, very helpful. 

Andy

earlsdonwhu 01 Nov 2021

Not much help but I remember three of us on same trip got different advice from the same firm ( name forgotten) ...they eventually insured us for coastal mountains but excluded the ice cap. 

tjdodd 01 Nov 2021
In reply to barbeg:

It will be essential to have full cover for a JG trip (it is in their conditions and they will want proof of the insurance).  Check with JG as to who clients have used in the past.

I did some remote solo trekking (no climbing) in Greenland 2 years ago and went with Snowcard.  They were really helpful so worth asking them.  I expect BMC and Snowcard are used to insuring this particular trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...