Gran Paradiso normal route info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 llanberis36 10 Sep 2022

Hi

just looking for condition reports on the normal route on the Gran Paradiso, we are considering some options for two weeks time (this or Chamonix area)

cheers

ERNIESHACK 10 Sep 2022
In reply to llanberis36:

Sorry I don't have an update, but I did climb it in August during the heatwave when it was very dry.

If you don't know there is now a one way system in place at the summit tower making it more efficient and safer.

I would also recommend trying the via ferrata section, it is very straightforward and much quieter than the normal way which I used on descent. Hopefully this would make a more interesting climb of the peak for you.

Also take a pair trainers to walk up to the hut (if that is where you are staying) which be a casual 90 mins or so. They were a blessing on the way back down.

cacheson 12 Sep 2022
In reply to llanberis36:

Like ERNIESHACK, I'm afraid I have no condition update (though I suspect there will be a fair sized bergschrund close to summit rocks).

+1 for the via ferrata section. It tends to get more popular later in the season as the glacier retreats. You don't need to carry via ferrata gear- there are rope hooks (I don't know what the technical name is) that you can quickly and easily run the rope through to protect it. When we did it there was quite a bit of traffic, and it is worth noting that when it is busy people tend to get stroppy if you spread out to have the rope running through 2 hooks.

Trainers are also an excellent suggestion. I walked up to the base of the glacier in mine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...