Coupling sleeping mats and bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenorVivo 28 Jul 2019

hi all

Does anyone have any experience of getting decent quality sleeping bags to zip together.  Am going on a trip with my wife and it would be nicer (and more heat efficient...) to be able to zip together bags and mats.   The current ones we have dont work so am looking at buying a new pair of bags for this purpose, but don't know which makes / models work best.  Thanks!

Andrew

TobyA 28 Jul 2019
In reply to SenorVivo:

I think most zips are compatible, you just need a left and right zip. On family holidays I often zip my ancient Haglofs synthetic bag to my wife's ancient ME down bag. You just need to find bags that have L and R zip options. It does work well for warmth! I reckon socialized homophobia adds about 500 grams in weight to both our pack weights (warmer sleeping bags) when I'm going somewhere cold with a mate who I'm not all that excited to spoon with in zipped together bags! 😆

ben b 28 Jul 2019
In reply to SenorVivo:

If you actually want to consistently sleep together, and can justify the cost, I would suggest a double sleeping bag. We have a Big Agnes one for base camp type duties which is much more pleasant than two mummy bags zipped together, especially as there is a draught collar in between the two sleepers. 

Synthetic versions are relatively cheap and not too heavy (sleeve to slide mattress down the back so half bags). I think if consistently camping as a pair, a down double "half" bag - if you see what I mean - is one of the most weight effective solutions out there, but not as flexible as two down bags (which are heavier). 

https://www.mec.ca/en/products/camping-and-hiking/sleeping-bags-and-pads/sl...

https://www.rei.com/c/double-sleeping-bags

b

matthew 28 Jul 2019
In reply to SenorVivo:

Hasn't always worked that well for me. Common complaint is draught sneaking in at the middle. Tend to prefer a quilt. You might be able to get adapters for dissimilar zips somewhere.

ben b 31 Jul 2019
In reply to matthew:

Yeah, the BA bags have a large insulated flap that fits around the neck +/- a way of closing the gap between sleepers. Otherwise cold air billows in when rolling over...

b

MischaHY 31 Jul 2019
In reply to SenorVivo:

> hi all

Grüezi!

>  more heat efficient... to be able to zip together bags and mats. 

Nope! Sleeping bags are designed to keep one person warm. Zipping them together reduces the performance as they're outside of spec. 

If you're planning on summer temps this is not really an issue but just buy a double sleeping bag and have one person carry bag and one carry mats to balance the weight etc. 

> don't know which makes / models work best.  

Mountain Equipment. But don't. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...