Complete mont blanc tunnel closure 4/9 to 18/12 inclusive

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philipjardine 20 Mar 2023

as it says on tin

Fredt 20 Mar 2023
 EwanR 20 Mar 2023
In reply to Fredt:

No they aren't... From your link it's from 17h00 on the 4th of September until 22h00 on the 18th of December.

1 fermeture de la durée de 15 semaines consécutives, à partir de lundi 4 septembre 17h00
jusqu'à lundi 18 décembre 2023, 22h00.

And there'll be the same thing in 2024 and no doubt the following years.

Harry Jarvis 20 Mar 2023
In reply to Fredt:

There are night-time closures between 17 April and 13 June, but the September to December closures are complete closures. 

Fredt 20 Mar 2023
In reply to philipjardine:

My apologies to the OP.

Toerag 22 Mar 2023
In reply to EwanR:

> And there'll be the same thing in 2024 and no doubt the following years.

What are they closing it for?

Harry Jarvis 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Toerag:

> What are they closing it for?

If you read the link in Fredt's first post, you'll see it's for renovation works on the road deck and complete reconstruction of two portions of the tunnel vaults. 

OP philipjardine 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Toerag:

mainly an asbestos problem I think

OP philipjardine 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Toerag:

"amiante" is asbestos

Cette mesure immédiate fait suite à la découverte de traces ponctuelles de fibre d’amiante dans certains éléments constructifs lors des travaux, et doit permettre une nouvelle inspection détaillée pour d’éventuels travaux complémentaires d’assainissement.

j_duds 22 Mar 2023
In reply to EwanR:

I can't find the links, but I read last year that the first closures were for testing and to better define the works programme but they do expect it to be closed every autumn for several years. 

EwanR 23 Mar 2023
In reply to j_duds:

https://www.ledauphine.com/transport/2023/03/20/le-tunnel-du-mont-blanc-fer...

The first two closures (presumably 2023 and 2024) are intended to renovate 1200m of the tunnel (so 10%) and to plan for fixing the other 90%. This would imply another 20 years of closures at the same rate...

The Swiss approach (see the Gotthard road tunnel) would be to dig a second parallel tunnel then when that's finished close the existing one to renovate it in one go. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...