Cave on Moel yr Ogof.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spartacus 13 Feb 2019

As title says can anyone pinpoint cave location on Moel yr Ogof in Snowdon. It’s above Beddgelert. 

Walked over mountain several times, never found it. Signage on o/s map so long it could be anywhere on mountain. Grid ref will do. Thanks 

OP spartacus 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Thanks that helps a bit. Photo shows  views of Bedddelert forest so I deduce the cave is on the east side of the mountain!

Mike Peacock 13 Feb 2019
In reply to spartacus:

It's easy to find on a good day, if you know where it is. It is on the east side, and is visible from the right of way below that runs up from the forest. You descend into a gully where there's an old asbestos mine, then have to traverse an airy ledge to reach it. I've never been along the ledge; too airy for me, but I know people who have done it. GR is approx SH 55989 47835

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepeacock/4809567506/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepeacock/5824059412/

Post edited at 09:52
OP spartacus 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Thanks Mike, hoping to find it next week!

Mike Peacock 13 Feb 2019
In reply to spartacus:

Good luck! Report back and let us know how it goes (and if you managed to traverse across to the cave itself).

Simon Caldwell 13 Feb 2019
In reply to spartacus:

Below the photo is an exact grid ref with a link to an OS map on Bing

Removed User 13 Feb 2019
In reply to spartacus:

The traverse into the cave is not even mod.  You can see it from the Caernarfon to Bedgelert road before its start's to go down the hill into Bedgelert.   Access via the camp site, 

Ceiriog Chris 14 Feb 2019
In reply to spartacus:

It will be a cave as in the OS version, don't be expecting to much in what ever kind of Igneous rock that is, 

leland stamper 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Mike Peacock:

I do remember being very excited at finding asbestos in a cave, but maybe that's just me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...