Uncanny on BBC Sounds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 30 Oct 2021

If you like a spine tingle I'd recommend 'Uncanny' currently playing on BBC Sounds. So far there are two episodes available (more to come). If you listened to 'The Battersea Poltergeist' it's by the same guy. Each incident is a listener's experiences of the paranormal, mixed with contributions from professional experts. Wherever the truth lies, it's fascinating.

Bobling 31 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

I did do the Battersea Poltergeist and heard this was out, started listening yesterday.  Good stuff.  Appropriate for Halloween, the presenter is very good.  I'm a bit tired of the two experts though "It was a ghost", "It wasn't a ghost but we can't yet explain what it was"...perhaps I was just a bit grumpy last night!

john arran 31 Oct 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Isn't the word "ghost" itself simply shorthand for "some spooky feeling we can't explain", in that actual definitions will vary so widely as to be of little to no benefit? In the same way as "god" is often shorthand for "well, something must have created all of this".

Post edited at 10:27
 plyometrics 31 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Agreed. The room 611 episode was terrifying!

OP Lankyman 31 Oct 2021
In reply to Bobling:

>I'm a bit tired of the two experts though "It was a ghost", "It wasn't a ghost but we can't yet explain what it was"

The interesting thing (to me) about the sceptical expert's explanations is that they don't seem particularly convincing at times. Especially where the phenomenon has been experienced by different people and on different occasions. The Room 611 phenomenon being a case in point. I suppose the person relating the incident could just be making it up. They do seem to have chosen 'reliable and respectable' people to interview.

>...perhaps I was just a bit grumpy last night!

Spiritual refreshments of a more material sort ... ?

OP Lankyman 31 Oct 2021
In reply to john arran:

Whatever anyone thinks to explain 'ghosts', the truth is very interesting. They've been recorded for millennia by many civilisations. If genuine, the people who experienced them believe that what they saw, heard or felt was happening rather than hallucinations. The mind is so complex.

wercat 01 Nov 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

The serialised reading of "The Frequency of Us" is pretty good too - quite creepy and very intriguing, particularly if you like old wirelesses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...