The cinema is alive and very well

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The last four films I've seen in the last ten days – Mrs Harris Goes to Paris, Ticket to Paradise, The Banshees of Inisherin, and Living – have all been 5-star masterpieces, all totally different from each other. I think Living, which I saw today, is about the most moving story I've ever seen on film. As the end credits rolled, I noticed many of the audience were staying put like myself, I think to hide the fact that they, like me, were fighting back the tears. Bill Nighy's performance is absolutely astounding, and it would be an unjust world if he were not to win the Oscar for best actor with it.

veteye 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I was thinking of going to Living, but it is good to hear the evaluation from you of being such a wonderful film, rather than write-ups in papers etc.

climb41 17 Nov 2022

Watched the Banshees of Inisherin with my wife last week; we both loved it. Went on about it to some friends when out on Saturday night. They saw it this week and we got the 'that's 2 hours of my life I won't get back' comment!! Everyone's different I guess.

Going to see Living on Saturday. I'll make sure I take the Kleenex.

Blue Straggler 17 Nov 2022

The German translation of the title of Mrs Harris Goes To Paris is "Mrs(*) Harris and a Dior dress". I spotted this last night as I arrived in Germany. 

* Mrs is written as Mrs on the German poster. Mrs Harris und ein Kleid von Dior. 

Offwidth 18 Nov 2022

Not surprised about Living given it's a great lineup originally from a Tolstoy tale via Kurosawa and Ishiguro. Not seen it yet.  I really enjoyed Mrs alliterative but it's way too sentimental for 5 stars.

In reply to Offwidth:

Amazingly, I think Living works even better than Ikiru, which I enjoyed very much right back in film school days. 

I think you've rather missed the point re Mrs H g t P. It's a comic fantasy. I judge every film on its own merits: how well it succeeds within its own very special/particular genre. I don't come to art with 'outside' moral values, i.e. I think your response is uncomfortably sententious.

Post edited at 02:06
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> The German translation of the title of Mrs Harris Goes To Paris is "Mrs(*) Harris and a Dior dress". I spotted this last night as I arrived in Germany. 

> * Mrs is written as Mrs on the German poster. Mrs Harris und ein Kleid von Dior. 

What a wonderful piece of German prosaicness. Surely the charming alliteration of Harris and Paris works just as well in German? Why do they have to mess with it, I wonder.

Post edited at 02:19
 deepsoup 18 Nov 2022

I'm not much of a film buff, but I think the score, costume and cinematography of Living will be winning awards too.  (I think the score already has.) 

It looks like it was actually shot in the 1950s and only recently discovered.  The 'standard' aspect ratio surprised me, maybe that's the future as well as the past.  (The picture is almost square.)  Bill Nighy's performance is extraordinary, but I think he's very much helped to shine by everyone else in the ensemble cast being pretty excellent too.  Nighy is so subtle and understated that I suspect anyone even slightly hamming it up in the same scene would ruin the effect.

Offwidth 18 Nov 2022

Having seen the reviews I expected worse and was quite charmed by it. Still it's possible for a great director to get more sour to contrast with the sugar, especially in 50s Britain. Apologies for forgetting the east-end omission apostrophe before the "a"...the best part of the intended joke.

wercat 18 Nov 2022

I understand that "Swallows and Amazons" is called "The fight for the Island" in German

We have been treated locally to "Goodnight Oppy" shown free of charge, a somewhat sentimental telling of the story of Spirit and Opportunity but quite engaging

Post edited at 09:31
In reply to deepsoup:

> It looks like it was actually shot in the 1950s and only recently discovered.  The 'standard' aspect ratio surprised me, maybe that's the future as well as the past.  (The picture is almost square.)  Bill Nighy's performance is extraordinary, but I think he's very much helped to shine by everyone else in the ensemble cast being pretty excellent too.  Nighy is so subtle and understated that I suspect anyone even slightly hamming it up in the same scene would ruin the effect.

The old 'standard' 1.33:1 ratio frame is a logical continuation of the contemporary 1950 library footage that's used behind the opening sequence, because that was the ratio of that old footage. It helped give the whole film the authentic period feel.

I agree with all your other comments. The cast and crew were all superlative throughout.

flaneur 18 Nov 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

> I really enjoyed Mrs alliterative

Mrs Rhyme? 

Digressing, my favourite Harris/Paris wordplay is from Cole Porter's glorious Always True to You in My Fashion.

"If the Harris pat means a Paris hat ..."

Toccata 18 Nov 2022

Also looking forward to Aftersun but it seems to be a pretty limited release today.

Rog Wilko 18 Nov 2022

Saw Living the other night, but I didn’t rate it that highly. Bill Nighy was just being himself, I thought. Despite hearing aids I missed some of the dialogue especially near the beginning. We’ve taken the precaution of booking The Banshees… with sub-titles. 

The French also like to alter film titles considerably. A classic example is "Les Dents de la Mer" for Jaws! Always made me laugh.

Pedro50 18 Nov 2022
In reply to John Stainforth:

Et Un apres midi du chien!

Post edited at 20:30
 Phil1919 18 Nov 2022
In reply to climb41:

I thought the Banshees of Innisherin was good enough, but was the plot intended to be a bit far fetched? It certainly covered important issues and told me something of the ups and downs of west coast of Ireland in those times.

In reply to Phil1919:

... a lot of art is 'a bit far fetched', almost by nature. One doesn't go to the cinema for a factual history lesson, but to be both provoked and entertained. And moved. I thought this film was unusually rich, and must see it again. It's so 'Irish' – where much is far-fetched. They have always been perhaps the world leaders in the art of 'story-telling'.

aln 19 Nov 2022

> Ticket to Paradise, 

A five star masterpiece? 😂😂🤣🤣😂

You've lost the plot Gordon. 

Phil1919 19 Nov 2022

OK, thanks.

Blue Straggler 20 Nov 2022
In reply to John Stainforth:

> The French also like to alter film titles considerably. A classic example is "Les Dents de la Mer" for Jaws! Always made me laugh.

It happens in the opposite direction, too, John Stainforth. I am sure Johnny Foreigner has a good chortle at some of the mangled reworkings of their film titles. 

Andy Clarke 20 Nov 2022
In reply to Blue Straggler:

>  I am sure Johnny Foreigner has a good chortle at some of the mangled reworkings of their film titles. 

Yes, the painfully literal The 400 Blows rather misses the point of the original title.

Blue Straggler 22 Nov 2022

>  One doesn't go to the cinema for a factual history lesson, but to be both provoked and entertained. 

I take issue with my almost having dignified this with a reply

Post edited at 01:35
 Blue Straggler 22 Nov 2022

> It's so 'Irish' – where much is far-fetched. They have always been perhaps the world leaders in the art of 'story-telling'.

Really?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...