Quote from somewhere

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climb41 22 Jul 2022

Hi all...I seem to remember reading a quote somewhere here and now can't find it...appealing to the UKC mind to see if anyone knows it.

Something along the lines of the man climbs to the summit, returns to the valley. He may never go high again but now knows what the valley looks like from on high, which those who stayed, won't.... Or something like that....

Any ideas? 

Thank you in anticipation.

profitofdoom 22 Jul 2022
In reply to climb41:

Not too sure, but that reminds me of the last 13 paragraphs of the short story The Country of the Blind by H. G. Wells.

This link is the full text of the whole story:

http://www.online-literature.com/wellshg/3/

OP climb41 22 Jul 2022
In reply to profitofdoom:

Thanks PoD. Yes, I see the similarity, but not what I remember. It was a bit more succinct...

Thank you.

In reply to climb41:

You might just be thinking of Geoffrey Winthrop Young's "I Hold the Heights".

smithg 23 Jul 2022
In reply to climb41:

You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again …
So why bother in the first place? Just this: what is above knows what is below but what is below does not know what is above. In climbing, always take note of difficulties along the way for as you go up, you can observe them. Coming down, you will no longer see them but you will know they are there if you have observed them well. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer but one has seen.
There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
—René Daumal, “A treatise of analogical alpinism” [Endnote]

OP climb41 23 Jul 2022
In reply to climb41:

Found it....

You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.

Rene Daumal

Thanks.

OP climb41 23 Jul 2022
In reply to smithg:

Hi Smithg, apologies, checked my phone and now see your message. Yes, that's it. 

Thank you. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...