Neil Young - Decade, where to next?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 05 Jun 2020

Back when I was a stoodent in London I spent all of my disposable income on Jungle and Drum and Bass records.  Then one day for some inexplicable reason I walked into a record shop in Soho and bought a copy of Neil Young's Decade.  It's lasted better than most of the Jungle!

The thing is I now know and love this album intimately.  I've also got Harvest Moon but other than that I have no idea where to start.  So help me out if you are a fellow fan, where should I go next?  There's something like 30 albums to choose from!

Here's a couple of relevant tracks to help the cogs turn:
Southern Man -  youtube.com/watch?v=m5FCcDEA6mY&
Ohio -  youtube.com/watch?v=hkg-bzTHeAk&

Tin soldiers and Trump is coming...

Andy Clarke 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

If you're already a fan, you can't really go wrong with these early classics: Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, After The Gold Rush, Harvest, Tonight's The Night, Rust Never Sleeps & Zuma. 

In reply to Bobling:

My favourites, and probably his most "classic" albums, are Harvest and After the Goldrush - great tunes like Out on the Weekend, Needle and Damage Done, Only Love Can Break Your Heart, Till The Morning Comes.  I quite like Zuma, worth a listen if only for Cortez the Killer. Tonights the Night is good if pretty bleak.  For the noisier side, the live album Rust Never Sleeps is good.

cragtyke 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Ragged Glory is a great rockier album, as is the live album Weld.

Darron 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

I know you have them but just wanted to say what good songs Heart of Gold and Old man are.

what album was Rocking in the free world from? That must be worth a listen?

Tom Last 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Harvest and After the Gold Rush.

Though a much later album, Harvest Moon is lovely I think. 

Tom Last 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Or you could just buy an 8 tape pack compilation of Roast, or World Dance - that would in fairness be pretty banging. 

jw 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Live at Massey Hall.

JLS 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Perhaps doesn’t help you find your next Neil Young LP but for me this Buffalo Springfield track is just about the best thing ever, certainly one of my desert island discs.

For what it’s worth...

youtube.com/watch?v=gp5JCrSXkJY&

Mike-Lea 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Another shout for Zuma, I find the Greendale album good for a road trip too

Pefa 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

> It's lasted better than most of the Jungle!

Sacrilege! 

Harry Ellis 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Harvest, After the Goldrush, Neil Young, Everbody knows.. Tonights the night. Also Unplugged is one of my faves.

So much good stuff. I am rather partial to the Buffalo Springfield stuff too

aln 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

The guitar solo on Powderfinger on Live Rust is the best guitar solo I've ever heard. It takes the riff and goes on a beautiful journey of incredibly skillful and emotive guitar playing, then drops back into the riff again. It's a wonderful thing. 

malky_c 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Most of the obvious stuff has been covered, but I'd add On the Beach, Sleeps with Angels and Mirrorball to the list. The first two on the more miserable introspective side of things but great albums, and Mirrorball a more rocking one with Pearl Jam as backing band. Time Fades Away is also good (in a Tonight's the Night kind of vein).

On the Beach and Time Fades Away had never been issued on CD when I started buying Neil Young albums but they are easy to find now, and way better than some of his late 70's / early-to-mid 80's dross.

He seems to have good and bad runs - pretty much all of his early stuff up to Rust Never Sleeps is great, then he goes largely shite until This Note's for You in the late 80's (although Re-ac-tor and Trans aren't too bad). He goes a bit patchy again after 1995's Mirrorball, and I've lost track after the OK Living With War in 2006.

Post edited at 23:48
 nathan79 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Stick with the drum and bass. I've never understood the Neil Young love-fest. He always comes surprisingly high in greatest guitarists of all time and I cannot fathom why. Crosby Still and Nash were better off without him.

IM 06 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Plenty great suggestions. I have most of them. If I was pushed to name one, I would go Harvest Moon (1992). Such a beautiful album. 

Good luck!

Doug 06 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

If you like Harvest Moon, Prairie Wind  is similar in style. If I had to pick just one Neil Young LP I'd probably go for Rust never sleeps

Axel Smeets 06 Jun 2020

Another vote here for On the Beach. 

Rust Never Sleeps is also essential, even if it's just for Powderfinger. But don't let that hide the fact that there are no fillers on the album. Brilliant collection of music. 

In reply to Bobling:

As a life-long Neil Young fan I am eagerly awaiting the release of his new album - Homegrown. This is a remaster of recordings he made after Harvest but never released. Should be out soon.

Over & Over, Powderfinger & El-Dorado are my favourites

Blue Straggler 06 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

>  It's lasted better than most of the Jungle!

That's cos of all the CFCs and the hole in the ozone layer

wynaptomos 06 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

So many great albums already mentioned. You might also want to check out Dejavu by Crosby Stills Nash & Young and he also did another good album called Long may you Run as the Stills Young band.

freeflyer 06 Jun 2020
In reply to nathan79:

If you want great great guitarists, check out Steven Stills Black Queen:

youtube.com/watch?v=tee61YGheaA&

Slight thread derail, but at least CSNY. And it's a great track!

Tom Last 06 Jun 2020
In reply to nathan79:

I prefer to think of him in the same bracket as Dylan, Cohen etc. Not a great guitarist, harmonica player or singer really, but a really really great songwriter. 

russellcampbell 06 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4UnWxWku-k&t=1734s

The above link is to a pod cast of 2 guys discussing their top 10 Neil Young albums starting at 10. Some unusual choices. I really enjoyed it.

Bob Kemp 06 Jun 2020
In reply to nathan79:

> Stick with the drum and bass. I've never understood the Neil Young love-fest. He always comes surprisingly high in greatest guitarists of all time and I cannot fathom why. Crosby Still and Nash were better off without him.

I can understand why some people hate him- his proto-punk approach is guitar Marmite. It probably depends on your attitude to what you might call the spirit of rock'n roll. Do you go for emotion, excitement, soul, or do you want technique, precision, originality?

This blog post pretty much sums up the argument:

https://www.thaliacapos.com/blogs/blog/is-neil-young-a-great-guitarist

Personally I think there's a place for both. Sometimes I want to listen to someone like Neil thrashing the hell out of an electric guitar, and sometimes I want to listen to Bob Fripp. 

felt 06 Jun 2020
In reply to nathan79:

> Crosby Still and Nash were better off without him.

You can say that again. Young's material, e.g. on Déjà Vu, really put theirs in the shade.

Removed User 06 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Nobody has mentioned the 'Unplugged' album , many of his classic tracks from the 60s 70s immaculately played.

Some of the 80s albums are dross or patchy but he regained his mojo later.

Neil Young is one of those artists who writes songs that are  little stories with no real beginning or end, they often feel as though they have been taken out of a bigger story eg Powderfinger,After the Goldrush.

Somebody was casting aspersions on his guitar playing, he's one of the best just catch him playing 'All along the Watchtower' at Bob Dylans Tribute concert - the one where Sinead o'connor made a tit of herself),better than Jimi's version in my opinion.

aostaman 06 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Can I recommend to all this version of 'Old Man' by the Canadian band Redlight Kings. I understand that it is the only cover endorsed by Neil Young. I love it

youtube.com/watch?v=lGt54Ozo8LQ&

OP Bobling 11 Jun 2020
In reply to nathan79:

Oooh, have a dislike you naughty boy : )

OP Bobling 11 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Wow, I never knew this thread would tap such a rich vein.  Thank you everyone, only thing is I think between you all you've suggested just about every album out there haha.

I've got two youtubey links to give you.

Change your mind recorded live in 2012 - just phenomenal, never heard it till youtube autoloaded it and can't get it out of my head.  I particularly like about 7 - 8 minutes when it's a guitar solo and the video is just three old dudes playing guitar and bobbing up and down like demented wombles.    youtube.com/watch?v=45qX1VYONds&

Second is the first time I ever heard Neil Young, as part of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young on a recording from Woodstock with Suite: Judy Blue Eyes.   Technicolour vivid memories of driving up to Mt Kosciuszko National Park in Australia listening to this and coming round the corner to find a 6ft Cassowary stood in the middle of the road.  Seemed so appropriate somehow!  youtube.com/watch?v=f3RtxCEJkrI&

loftyheights 11 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Decade started it for me.

Been enjoying Dreaming Man Live 92 recently.

Live at the Fillmore 1970

Check out 

https://neilyoungarchives.com/#/?_k=ricfty had some fire side sessions live recently.

When i need to let rip try this

youtube.com/watch?v=hvtdbfI1sqQ&

andrew ogilvie 11 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

I daresay that's enough Neil Young to be getting on with so perhaps a turn into a different road?

Try Jackson Browne's  "Late for the sky",   CSNY "Deja Vu" or Joni Mitchell's "Blue".

If you don't find at least one exquisite song on each of those three I don't think music is working properly for you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...