Later with Jools Holland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 31 Oct 2019

Oh dear! What a disaster

MonkeyPuzzle 31 Oct 2019
In reply to kevin stephens:

Prey tell

Bob Kemp 31 Oct 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Slowthai in his shreddies?

The whole series or a specific show?

In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

I was really looking forward to it to escape the news, but rubbish rappers pissed up in their shreddies and PJs did not deliver, hopefully next week will be better 

Blue Straggler 01 Nov 2019

Didn’t it die a death many many years ago when an early appearance by The Libertines featured The Libertines’ own mini “rent-a-mosh-pit”? That was the final nail in the coffin for me 

Hat Dude 01 Nov 2019

I love that Mark E. Smith had it written into the contract that Jools Holland would not play boogie woogie piano along towith any Fall songs.

He later said “The standard of music these days is f**king terrible. Being poorly you have to watch shi*t like Jools Holland,”

In reply to Hat Dude:

Didn't nosee this episode, and maybe it was dreadful, but at least they continue to showcase non mainstream music. 

Chuck a load of artistic/creative types from any field in a studio and let them do what they want and I would expect to see some brilliance some mediocre and some dross.

I'd rather that, than they play it safe and it's all mediocre.

Ceiriog Chris 01 Nov 2019

I thought the Flaming Lips were good on there a good few years ago, never paid them much attention before 

Blue Straggler 01 Nov 2019
In reply to mountain.martin:

Nor me but I very much agree 

Duncan Bourne 01 Nov 2019

was it all rappers? usually they have variety of acts

neilh 01 Nov 2019

The 1st show was excellent and included female hip hop.Some interesting new artists.

Had not realised the number of now high profile female atrists he as had on his show- Kate Perry and Taylor Swift - good grief.

In reply to Hat Dude:

> I love that Mark E. Smith had it written into the contract that Jools Holland would not play boogie woogie piano along towith any Fall songs.

> He later said “The standard of music these days is f**king terrible. Being poorly you have to watch shi*t like Jools Holland,”

Given that music is such a fringe activity on TV these days, any show that showcases bands in a live setting should be welcomed. I've yet to see a series yet that didn't feature some stellar performances and some acts you'd never have heard of otherwise. I've been introduced to a few noteworthy acts and quite a few careers have been launched off the back of the show. Jools himself I can take or leave (cringeworthy fawning etc) but the quality of talent on display cannot be faulted.

In reply to mountain.martin:

> Didn't nosee this episode, and maybe it was dreadful, but at least they continue to showcase non mainstream music. 

> Chuck a load of artistic/creative types from any field in a studio and let them do what they want and I would expect to see some brilliance some mediocre and some dross.

> I'd rather that, than they play it safe and it's all mediocre.

I try and catch it when I can (usually record it so I can) it's rare to find an episode that doesn't feature at least one excellent act.

MonkeyPuzzle 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Ah was Slowthai on? His album's great.

MonkeyPuzzle 01 Nov 2019

> I was really looking forward to it to escape the news, but rubbish rappers pissed up in their shreddies and PJs did not deliver, hopefully next week will be better 

Just watching it and I thought it a really good line up bar the derp from Kasabian in his PJs. Michael Kiwunuka, Elbow, Little Simz and Slowthai all did their thing and did it well. Thought Slowthai stripping to his gruds was quite funny for live telly.

Bob Kemp 01 Nov 2019

I was impressed by the way Slowthai actually woke up the Later audience... quite amusing.

I suspect the BBC are auditioning for a replacement for Jools Holland.  I think the format of the show largely works still but it needs the sort of refresh that comes with a new host.  Blowed if I know who might take over though.

T.

Tobes 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Good question - off the top of my head right now perhaps Gaz Coombes? 

I guess anyone with the musical ‘chops’ to follow along with the artists in addition to half decent chat

The New NickB 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

> I love that Mark E. Smith had it written into the contract that Jools Holland would not play boogie woogie piano along towith any Fall songs.

> He later said “The standard of music these days is f**king terrible. Being poorly you have to watch shi*t like Jools Holland,”

Ironic, given that it was the Tube, presented by Jools Holland, that gave the Fall their national TV debut.

Timmd 01 Nov 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

Indeed, though I like the bit about not having boogie woogie played along to any of his songs.

In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Bring back Whispering Bob and the OGWT

EarlyBird 01 Nov 2019

He was - he was excellent. You weren't quite sure what he was going to do. He's from my hometown - makes you proud! Little Simz was new to me - also excellent. Michael Kiwunuka interested me as well. Good show I thought.

SFM 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Tobes:

Annie Mac would be my successor shout. Jools is a sly old fox about who he chooses to be on the show however so it would be a challenge to follow his lead. 

Tobes 01 Nov 2019
In reply to SFM:

Ah actually then in that case  Nemone would get my backing. A very capable presenter. But I reckon it should still be a musician. 

Just not Guy Garvey! 

Mike-W-99 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Tobes:

Or hopefully not Zane Lowe..

Years ago, there was one JH episode that prompted me to buy every artists current albums, it was that good.

Tobes 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Oh dear is he still going .... ‘the best new band in the world right now, I give you’

which episode/bands were on? 

memorable ones for me were the Martha Wainwright and the Darkness and of course the Robbie Williams and At the Drive in - that was effing brilliant and hilarious! 

Mike-W-99 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Tobes:

Julie Fowlis, lcd soundsystem and Bloc Party. An eclectic mix. Sadly only managed to see Julie Fowlis live so far who was excellent.

subtle 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Julie Fowlis, lcd soundsystem and Bloc Party. An eclectic mix. Sadly only managed to see Julie Fowlis live so far who was excellent.

I've tried, but am always left underwhelmed by Julie Fowlis, each to their own though

Blue Straggler 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Tobes:

Moby doing Into the Blue with Mimi Goese on vocals, circa 1998. Possibly Jools on piano although that might have been on a different Moby track. 

Brilliant.

Also Radiohead doing Paranoid Android, broadcast only a few days after its first radio play and presumably performed and recorded in front of an audience who had never heard it. There is a pause between the end of the song and the applause, which is just electric. All the other bands look to be a bit in awe too. Especially whoever it was that had to follow it 

MonkeyPuzzle 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I remember seeing that Radiohead performance and just not being able to get my head round how good it was.

Le Sapeur 03 Nov 2019

> Oh dear! What a disaster

I'm a fan of Later but last week's program was, as you say, a disaster. It's the first time I have ever thought this about his show. 

Blue Straggler 04 Nov 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

> I'm a fan of Later but last week's program was, as you say, a disaster. It's the first time I have ever thought this about his show. 

I had this 21 years ago when they played just one Kristin Hersh song but five Paul Weller songs ! Or something along these lines 

SuperstarDJ 04 Nov 2019
In reply to Tobes:

I remember Gomez being memorable - when the speccy physics undergrad stepped up to the mic to sing and sounded like a 50 year old hard living hard smoking bluesman - much surprise and laughter.

Paranoid Android's debut was quite something.  They just moved the bar up into another dimension with that performance of that song.

I think it was the first place I saw Bon Iver - him playing something off the first album was pretty special for me - the rawness.

I don't really watch it there days - there are so many more places to find new music it's not as important as it was.  BBC balance is great but it does mean that there's a lot of stuff I'm just not interested in on the show and wading through the dross got very tiring.  Sad but I just don't have the time anymore.

Bob Kemp 04 Nov 2019

It doesn't matter how many songs Paul Weller plays on Later it always seems like at least five!

In reply to Tobes:

I may be in a very small minority here, but one of the more memorable performances for me was by Chris Barber's band.  Absolutely marvellous, and really not my usual fare.  Similarly, KT Tunstall, not my usual stuff, but such a good performance.

There must be an absolute treasure trove of archive performances in the BBC vaults from the one-number performers through to the big-names both enduring and transient.  Having access to it all would keep me out of mischief for a good while.

T.

Blue Straggler 04 Nov 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> It doesn't matter how many songs Paul Weller plays on Later it always seems like at least five!

I think there was a period when Texas were on it far too many times and given too much airtime each time, this ran parallel to the Wellerama theme park as well as the Chris Evans decade of fawning all over Sharleen Spiteri. 

Bad times in the late 90s and early 00s. 

Blue Straggler 05 Nov 2019

Another rare case of Jools’ boogie woogie keyboard being entirely appropriate. Saint Etienne, probably 1994-5

youtube.com/watch?v=O_7rrlGRNkw&

Blue Straggler 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Tobes:

> Good question - off the top of my head right now perhaps Gaz Coombes? 

> I guess anyone with the musical ‘chops’ to follow along with the artists in addition to half decent chat

Nemone and Annie Mac were suggested by others. If you wanted a female 6Music presenter with a musical background then there’s Lauren Laverne (wonder if she would be too expensive) and Cerys Matthews. Matthews the more obvious of those two IMHO. She has the sycophancy aspect, for one thing. 

neilh 07 Nov 2019

I like Cerys but she will only play artists who are not from a priviliged background ( she advocates bands from working class background).. This she is allowed to do on R6, but mainstream TV this would not be acceptable.

In reply to neilh:

Seriously ? I did not know that. Not even when she plays old classics?

Who is defining “privileged”? And indeed who is defining “background”? Sounds like there is a lot of scope for this having a huge grey area.

FactorXXX 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Tobes:

> I guess anyone with the musical ‘chops’ to follow along with the artists in addition to half decent chat

Alex James?

neilh 07 Nov 2019

I did not know until recently. But she has a pet hatred of bands who have been for example to fee paying schools.She is a strong supporter of those bands who have had to fight their way through from tough routes.

There is enough electic mix on R6 to cater for this.

But put her on Jools and she would have to compromise.LL has too many projects, a bit of a star.

Anyway I like Jools. Gets it right some of the time and wrong other times....which is about what it should be.his love of music is unbounded.

Bob Kemp 07 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

What she actually said was 

“Whatever you do in life, you have to try [to] take into consideration where one person has had more of a leg-up than somebody else and act on it. When I programme my radio show, I don’t only want to play Anglo-American music. The bigger the pool of music and artists, the better the quality. Not tokenism, but you must take into account who’s had the leg-ups. Because if you’ve been through the public school system, you’ve had so many leg-ups.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dj-cerys-matthews-shuns-privileged-music...

Of course the Mail, Sun etc. misreported this as a ban. 

Tobes 07 Nov 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

Good suggestion- how about Matt Everet (spelling?) 6music bloke. He’s grown on me as I wasn’t a fan a few years ago (too screechy) but has settled in well with his ‘the first time’ series. 

iggy pop perhaps? 

Post edited at 14:33
 Tobes 07 Nov 2019

LL - perhaps but I find her a bit too slick and polished. I think you need someone looser and less together, I think it needs someone with the musical background that’s also got a bit of a ‘struggle’ in the past type thing going on. Or a bit shambolic like JH 

In reply to Tobes:

Iggy may have suitably eclectic tastes but he is an awful presenter on his 6Music show. 

Bob Kemp 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Tobes:

Jarvis Cocker would fit your specification very well.

neilh 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Ta for qualifying

I am not sure many DM readers would know who she is.

prefer Amy Lame

Bob Kemp 07 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

No problem! You're probably right about DM readers...

Tobes 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Yeah! Perfect. Funny I thought he was a bit crap as a DJ on 6music but could see him work better on telly. 

In reply to Tobes:

I think we should turn this around and do comedy "bad presenters" suggestions

I'll start with Polly Jean Harvey. 

aln 07 Nov 2019

> Iggy may have suitably eclectic tastes but he is an awful presenter on his 6Music show. 

What is it you don't like about his presenting?

Shadow 07 Nov 2019
In reply to aln:

How can anyone not like Iggy, he's clearly the bomb

Tobes 07 Nov 2019

How about Piers Morgan or Jeremy Kyle.... you can just imagine it.

”so what you singing, alright get on with it, thought about getting a haircut, bet you vote labour” 

FactorXXX 07 Nov 2019

> I think we should turn this around and do comedy "bad presenters" suggestions
> I'll start with Polly Jean Harvey. 

Ozzy Osbourne.

cragtyke 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Tobes:

> Ah actually then in that case  Nemone would get my backing. A very capable presenter. But I reckon it should still be a musician.

How about Thurston Moore?

He’s back on tonight, hopefully an improvement 

Tobes 07 Nov 2019
In reply to cragtyke:

Hmm perhaps Kim Gordon? Thurston might be just too laid back I reckon 

btw just watched this episode in question. Seems business as usual, mostly shite and JH was off form - elbow jeez (like Coldplay for the hard of hearing)

Not good so far, fodder for Pseuds' corner

Edit: Rest of the show seems excellent so far

Post edited at 22:18
In reply to aln:

> What is it you don't like about his presenting?

I find him spectacularly unengaging and I don’t trust that he’s sincere about all the great things that are amazing (shades of Jo Whiley). Feels a bit like he’s phoning it in and there is a whiff of being patronised somehow even though he’s never really banging on too much about how cool he is and rarely namedrops Bowie and Berlin and the 1970s. 

FactorXXX 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Tobes:

> Hmm perhaps Kim Gordon? Thurston might be just too laid back I reckon 

Not wishing to be parochial, but I do think it needs to retain some of the quirky 'Britishness' that the show currently has with Jools presenting it. 
Anyway, as it stands, the best person to present 'Later with Jools Holland' is Jools Holland...

In reply to FactorXXX:

Richard Stilgoe 

Bob Kemp 07 Nov 2019

Well, if we're going to be silly... Cliff Richard!

In reply to Bob Kemp:

Sheena Easton and Wendy James? 

In reply to Bob Kemp:

Sarah Brightman 

FactorXXX 07 Nov 2019

Slightly tongue in cheek, but serious at the same time: Bruce Dickinson. 

tehmarks 07 Nov 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

Now that is something that I'd like to see.

In reply to FactorXXX:

Oh god on a slight tangent you’ve inadvertently reminded me that Rick Wakeman seems to be slightly on the BBC payroll.

but on a tangent from THAT, how about Mark Lamarr? 

aln 08 Nov 2019

Hmm... He's certainly laidback but I don't find him unengaging at all. And with his show being, I assume, one where the presenter chooses the music I also assume that he likes what he's playing. Although there's a level of inscrutablity that would apply to your other misgivings. But....please don't compare him to Jo Whiley! Her constant gushing incinsere enthusiasm for absolutely everything! is unmatched. And she wrecked Simon Mayo's excellent Drivetime show, I'll never forgive that.

aln 08 Nov 2019

> how about Mark Lamarr? 

Good shout. He did a great combination of enthusiasm and pissed off cynicism. What's he up to these days?

Tobes 08 Nov 2019
In reply to Tobes:

> Hmm perhaps Kim Gordon? Thurston might be just too laid back I reckon 

> btw just watched this episode in question. Seems business as usual, mostly shite and JH was off form - elbow jeez (like Coldplay for the hard of hearing)

to follow - when are tv and radio ever going to get it - comedians make crap interviewees!!!
Great on stage, follow their scripted ‘improv’ but as interviewees NO! they ain’t funny but they think they’ve got to be funny so they’re often train wreck interviews. The most recent offender being Shaun  Keavney’s 6music show and ALL of the last dozen or so comedian interviews. Terrible!!! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...