Histories of MTBs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 23 May 2022

Are there any RN or ex RN Types on UKC who can recommend any good books on WW2 MTBs? Were any VCs and DSOs won by crews of these vessels? I have visited the Joint Services Sailing Centre at Gosport, formerly HMS Hornet and remember seeing some superb photographs hanging on the walls of MTBs going at full speed.

A lot has been written about the Battle of Britain fighter pilots, both fact and fiction, but the exploits of the brave men who risked life and limb in these high speed plywood boats in the Channel Patrol against the German Navy, and in particular their E Boats, seems to have been sadly overlooked.

Post edited at 17:39
 DerwentDiluted 23 May 2022
In reply to Trangia:

Peter Scott wrote a book about his service on an MTB but its 30+ years since I read it.

OP Trangia 23 May 2022
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> Peter Scott wrote a book about his service on an MTB but its 30+ years since I read it.

Thank you! I've now looked it up, and found this

http://www.historyofwar.org/bookpage/scott_battle_narrow_seas.html

Now to see if I can source a copy of the book - sounds interesting

OP Trangia 23 May 2022
In reply to Trangia:

I've found it on Kindle, and already ordered it!

Once again many thanks for the lead

bouldery bits 23 May 2022
In reply to Trangia:

Puzzled. 

I thought it would be a mountain biking thread.

Ridge 23 May 2022
In reply to bouldery bits:

Motor Torpedo Boats, if you haven't guessed by now.

artif 23 May 2022
In reply to Trangia:

A friend lived on one on the Hamble for many years, moored just next to the M27 motorway bridge. Unfortunately the three petrol engines (Packards I believe) had been replaced with three Perkins V8 diesels by the previous owner. Not sure where she ended up.

She was possibly MTB 102, despite living opposite her for several years, I cant find any pictures of her anywhere in my folders.

bouldery bits 23 May 2022
In reply to Ridge:

> Motor Torpedo Boats, if you haven't guessed by now.

Thanks!

Google helped me out. Super cool kit. 

In reply to Trangia:

I suppose at some point I must have known Peter Scott was the son of Scott of the Antarctic, but I'd certainly well forgotten it. 

jcm

In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

As I had, if I ever knew it, that he was an Olympian or that he was married to the novelist Elizabeth Jane Howard.

jcm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...