Loading Notifications...

'Get younger every day'

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Lankyman 17 Nov 2020

Here's a blast from the past! Anyone who grew up in the late sixties/early seventies will probably remember the awful alcoholic swill that was Youngers Tartan bitter. I've just re-discovered the free promo record they issued about 1970-ish. It was a thin floppy 45rpm. Probably helps if you're half-gone - enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BHplzJM-J8&

wercat 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

remember it well, and my grandfather singing it to us.

Andy Hardy 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

🎵"If you want good beer make the veeee sign, 'cos vees the sign you want a pint of Vaux"

Also "Best scotch, it's the one you've got to come back for"

Myfyr Tomos 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

"Awful alcoholic swill..."  Yes, you're probably right, but I loved it at the time.

Lankyman 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> "Awful alcoholic swill..."  Yes, you're probably right, but I loved it at the time.

Me also. As a student in Manchester I quaffed gallons of the stuff. Isn't it amazing how your tastes change with age?

David Riley 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Whitbread Tankard, Watneys Red Barrel, Brew 11 for the men of the midlands, and Shipstones (Shippo's) or Harp lager.  Then I moved to Cambridge, Greene King Abbot.  Wow, no jingle required.

DaveHK 17 Nov 2020
In reply to David Riley:

Watneys making a comeback:

https://party-seven.com/

David Riley 17 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Bad timing.

More-On 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Dreadful stuff. As was McEwan's Best Scotch, but at least their ads made me laugh...

...possibly as I was living in Newcastle at the time.

The Transsylvania one was the best imho...

freeflyer 17 Nov 2020
In reply to David Riley:

>  Then I moved to Cambridge, Greene King Abbot.  Wow, no jingle required.

or Adnams if you needed to get home after.

graeme jackson 17 Nov 2020
In reply to More-On:

> Dreadful stuff. As was McEwan's Best Scotch,

Oy! I grew up on Best Scotch.  First trip south I asked for a pint of scotch in leicester student union bar. Got a funny look and ended up with a pint of piss (or lager as it was also known)

hang_about 18 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

From my youth -" You can't take the p*ss out of Watneys"

Post edited at 12:58
 Darron 18 Nov 2020
In reply to David Riley:

> Whitbread Tankard

or more accurately ‘Titbread Wankard’

Toccata 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Grew up on 70/- (latterly Velvet when the nitro kegs came in) but even then we occasionally got McEwan’s 80/- or Younger’s No3 on hand pull and wow could you tell the difference. (Anyone remember The Anchor in Troon? Great beer in the late 80s/ early 90s).
On moving to England (uni) my first taste of bitter was Flowers IPA and the world changed. Heavy suddenly was sweet and horrible and there was a new world to explore.
The wheel turns and I’m in Edinburgh, post Calcutta Cup (we lost) and I see Stewart’s 80/- on hand pull. A gallon later and I remembered where I came from.

Lankyman 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Darron:

> or more accurately ‘Titbread Wankard’

This is the one that reverberates down the decades for me - 'the pint that thinks it's a quart'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1hQdCdCP8&

The early seventies must have taken place on another planet in a seperate universe somewhere else. As far as I can tell, I never drank the stuff but then again, it all tasted like watered down battery acid back then.

Tringa 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

This thread reminds me of what was sometimes said in the early 70s about another beer -

"If the bottom of has fallen out of your world, drink Double Diamond and let the world fall out of your bottom"

Dave

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.