'Get younger every day'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 17 Nov 2020

Here's a blast from the past! Anyone who grew up in the late sixties/early seventies will probably remember the awful alcoholic swill that was Youngers Tartan bitter. I've just re-discovered the free promo record they issued about 1970-ish. It was a thin floppy 45rpm. Probably helps if you're half-gone - enjoy!

youtube.com/watch?v=2BHplzJM-J8&

wercat 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

remember it well, and my grandfather singing it to us.

Andy Hardy 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

🎵"If you want good beer make the veeee sign, 'cos vees the sign you want a pint of Vaux"

Also "Best scotch, it's the one you've got to come back for"

Myfyr Tomos 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

"Awful alcoholic swill..."  Yes, you're probably right, but I loved it at the time.

OP Lankyman 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> "Awful alcoholic swill..."  Yes, you're probably right, but I loved it at the time.

Me also. As a student in Manchester I quaffed gallons of the stuff. Isn't it amazing how your tastes change with age?

David Riley 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Whitbread Tankard, Watneys Red Barrel, Brew 11 for the men of the midlands, and Shipstones (Shippo's) or Harp lager.  Then I moved to Cambridge, Greene King Abbot.  Wow, no jingle required.

DaveHK 17 Nov 2020
In reply to David Riley:

Watneys making a comeback:

https://party-seven.com/

David Riley 17 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Bad timing.

More-On 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Dreadful stuff. As was McEwan's Best Scotch, but at least their ads made me laugh...

...possibly as I was living in Newcastle at the time.

The Transsylvania one was the best imho...

freeflyer 17 Nov 2020
In reply to David Riley:

>  Then I moved to Cambridge, Greene King Abbot.  Wow, no jingle required.

or Adnams if you needed to get home after.

graeme jackson 17 Nov 2020
In reply to More-On:

> Dreadful stuff. As was McEwan's Best Scotch,

Oy! I grew up on Best Scotch.  First trip south I asked for a pint of scotch in leicester student union bar. Got a funny look and ended up with a pint of piss (or lager as it was also known)

hang_about 18 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

From my youth -" You can't take the p*ss out of Watneys"

Post edited at 12:58
 Darron 18 Nov 2020
In reply to David Riley:

> Whitbread Tankard

or more accurately ‘Titbread Wankard’

Toccata 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Grew up on 70/- (latterly Velvet when the nitro kegs came in) but even then we occasionally got McEwan’s 80/- or Younger’s No3 on hand pull and wow could you tell the difference. (Anyone remember The Anchor in Troon? Great beer in the late 80s/ early 90s).
On moving to England (uni) my first taste of bitter was Flowers IPA and the world changed. Heavy suddenly was sweet and horrible and there was a new world to explore.
The wheel turns and I’m in Edinburgh, post Calcutta Cup (we lost) and I see Stewart’s 80/- on hand pull. A gallon later and I remembered where I came from.

OP Lankyman 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Darron:

> or more accurately ‘Titbread Wankard’

This is the one that reverberates down the decades for me - 'the pint that thinks it's a quart'

youtube.com/watch?v=6n1hQdCdCP8&

The early seventies must have taken place on another planet in a seperate universe somewhere else. As far as I can tell, I never drank the stuff but then again, it all tasted like watered down battery acid back then.

Tringa 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

This thread reminds me of what was sometimes said in the early 70s about another beer -

"If the bottom of has fallen out of your world, drink Double Diamond and let the world fall out of your bottom"

Dave

Andy Hardy 11 Dec 2020
In reply to graeme jackson:

<Clock strikes 3pm>

Y've gorra be joakin' bonnie lad 

cb294 13 Dec 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

No idea about the beer, but I once had a floppy 45 that came with the Dead Kennedys'  "Give me convenience...", before I gave it to my brother at one point (as he still had a record player):

The glorious country and western version of "Too drunk to f*ck".

Apparently it is now worth quite a bit in collectors' circles, but I really know no good reason for wanting to own that one!

CB

ripper 13 Dec 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

A bit later on, but I remember You gets IPA and No. 3 being pretty decent, at least by the standards of the time

ThunderCat 13 Dec 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> 🎵"If you want good beer make the veeee sign, 'cos vees the sign you want a pint of Vaux"

That really rang a bell... Must have been a local advert? I think Vaux only brewed in my local area (Sunderland). 

The New NickB 14 Dec 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

> That really rang a bell... Must have been a local advert? I think Vaux only brewed in my local area (Sunderland). 

I remember drinking in a least one Vaux pub in Rochdale in my youth, I was about 16 so 1991 ish. I think it closed before I was legally allowed to drink there. It’s a funeral home now. I remember the road it was on having 6 pubs and a couple more buildings that obviously used to be pubs, there are none now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...