Favourite Joy Division song

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 22 Aug 2020

Evening all,

I mean they’re all pretty outstanding but which one is your favourite?

For me it’s New Dawn Fades;

youtube.com/watch?v=IsT_PvMR4j4&

bouldery bits 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Warsaw.

3, 5, 0, 1, 2, 5, Go.

marky 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

New Dawn Fades for me too, closely followed by Disorder and Digital  

skog 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

For me it has to be Chance - an early, and to my mind quite superior, version of Atmosphere. Sorrow and hopelessness bottled up into something quite beautiful and eerie!

youtube.com/watch?v=zEx1vlxA5J8&

You're right, though, they're all great.

Clauso 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Disorder or Transmission... Too close to call, really. 

Clauso 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Oh, and I like the Trainspotting flavour of it too:

youtube.com/watch?v=BSjjIuK7vJM&

In reply to Denni:

This thread has just triggered a great YouTube wormhole for me.

Currently I'm thinking Atmosphere or Transmission (that baseline and barking delivery of  "dance, dance, dance to the radio" remains terrifying and compelling).

Also, it might be too obvious to be cool, but Love Will Tear Us Apart is very special.

One of the most curious evenings I've ever had was Joy Division tinged. In a dive bar in Cairo, a saw-dust on the floor, dregs of society clientele place.  I'd sought shelter there to avoid hawkers and conmen who would not cease hassling me (at 6'3" and very pale, I'm an obvious target). I got peace in the pub, as whilst ripping off tourists was fair game, the conmen were good Muslims and would not imperil their souls by entering a pub. Whilst sheltering, I met a Swedish photographer who'd dedicated his life to trying to capture the essence of the song "Atmosphere" (lots of desert and flames in b&w seemingly). We had a merry evening drinking local lager and talking about Joy Division, decades after they were finished, two strangers far from home.

aln 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Good thread, and timely with it having been the 40th anniversary of the release of Closer in July. One of my all-time favourite bands, they meant a lot to me in my teenage years. Still do. I'd struggle to pick a favourite song. 

steveb2006 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

I remember first hearing Atmosphere on the John Peel show and was blown away. New Dawn Fades is up there too.

steveb2006 22 Aug 2020
In reply to skog:

Hadnt heard the Chance version - thanks for posting

Clauso 22 Aug 2020
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

> This thread has just triggered a great YouTube wormhole for me... I had a merry evening drinking local lager and talking about Joy Division, decades after they were finished, two strangers far from home.

It's odd the situations that one can sometimes encounter, when alone and far from home...

I once found myself in a dive bar in Taiwan, 100-odd miles south of Taipei, where I was the only non-Asian in evidence. On learning that I was English, the owner turned on his karaoke machine and requested me to sing some Beatles. An hour or so later, after I'd given them my best renditions of various early numbers, most of Sgt. Pepper, and the entire Abbey Road medley, I left full of free beer and whisky, with applause ringing in my ears, and went on to enjoy particularly friendly relations with one of the barmaids. 

There endeth my music career. 

louiswain 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

'Twenty Four Hours' at the moment, but it's an impossible choice.

65 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Day of the Lords.

I'd say Twenty Four Hours, but I find it impossible to listen to, Curtis's suicidal mind is writ large.

Nathan Adam 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Autosuggestion creeps up on you slowly and sticks in my mind. 

For earlier stuff, I like the rawness of No Love Lost (in its various versions) as well as the 100mph Failures. Neither of them are musically as developed as later productions but they really pack a punch of what the band initially had visions for. 

For Unknown Pleasures I can't go past Shadowplay, the music and the lyrics are haunting in equal measure, followed closely by I Remember Nothing which goes by like a hazy dream (or nightmare?). Difficult to pick from that album really as there is no filler anywhere.

Closer is a very difficult album to listen to, but I think the pain in Ian's voice is most notable on Isolation and Decades. Probably my personal favourite of the two albums but I know that's a contentious shout. 

If I could only pick one to listen to forever though? Transmission. Preferably the live version from the Something Else show 1979. An unbelievable performance from a young band at the height of their powers. 

The only group I've ever wished I'd been alive to see in the flesh.  

Post edited at 22:48
 skog 22 Aug 2020
In reply to steveb2006:

I was introduced to it by my mate Andy, the mad postie of Dunblane.

I don't think there's another song that makes me happier about the pointlessness of existence!

Maybe The Drowning Man, or Plainsong, by the Cure.

In reply to Denni:

This is a brilliant thread. For me, it has to be Atrocity Exhibition. Too young to have been around when they were, an older mate gave me Unknown Pleasures on a tape, opened my eyes. 

TechnoJim 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

So hard to pick, but probably Atmosphere or Disorder. Digital, Dead Souls and Ceremony are total class as well though.

ALF_BELF 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Joy Division - She's Lost Control

I have had New Order - Age of Consent on repeat for the last couple of weeks too. That track just doesn't get old for me.

MisterPiggy 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

For me it's Love Will Tear... Nothing like that cri de coeur for really sticking it to yourself when your girlfriend just dumped you for your best mate. Wallowing with that song playing on a loop - exquisitely painful.

Haha, what cheerful thoughts for a Sunday morning!

A good weekend to all 😀

In reply to Denni:

Dead souls for me ,am I right in thinking it was a mere b-side ?

Mike-W-99 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Rolling coastal:

Of an obscure release at that.

mines atmosphere. First jd track is ever knowingly heard. Local DJ used to use it to clear the dance floor at closing time

alan moore 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Ceremony.  Probably.

Whoever thought to use it as the soundtrack for a video of soloing at Stanage recently, was a stroke of genius.

Kryank 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Not Strictly Joy Division, but Half Man Half Biscuits song Joy Division Oven Gloves jumped straight to mind I love that song! 

youtube.com/watch?v=8De85dxmfT0&

but back to the topic She’s lost control again is my favourite followed closely by Love Will Tear....

great Thread! 

Rik 23 Aug 2020
 climbercool 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

> Evening all,

> I mean they’re all pretty outstanding but which one is your favourite?

> For me it’s New Dawn Fades;

Im a massive Joy division fan but i reckon Moby does New Dawn Fades even better!

youtube.com/watch?v=RJUUUOgX8EI& 

as for favorite joy division song, for me it's either Ice Age or Transmission.

Post edited at 17:31
 steveb2006 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

No ones going for the singalong 'I Remember Nothing' then. Probably one of the most difficult to listen too but still brill.

Great thread.

afx22 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

It’s probably No Love Lost for me.  It’s the only song that makes me want to be on stage, head down, thrashing away on guitar or bass, with some mates, in a small pub on a weeknight.

Isolation, Transmission, Ice Age, Atmosphere and so may others are so damn good!

Bobling 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Atmosphere, then Shadowplay.  History teacher at school lent my mate a tape and that was it.

Can I get an honourable mention for NIN's cover of Dead Souls for The Crow Soundtrack?  Brandon Lee does parcour before it was cool.

Andy Clarke 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Bobling:

> Can I get an honourable mention for NIN's cover of Dead Souls for The Crow Soundtrack?  Brandon Lee does parcour before it was cool.

If we're doing covers: June Tabor & The Oysterband doing Love Will... is pretty special.

And can I have side 2 of Closer as my favourite. 

Post edited at 23:11
 TechnoJim 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Bobling:

If we're doing covers then the Galaxie 500 version of Ceremony is excellent. 

cragtyke 24 Aug 2020
In reply to TechnoJim:

> If we're doing covers then the Galaxie 500 version of Ceremony is excellent. 

As is the long version of She's Lost Control by Grace Jones.

mark s 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Atmosphere

DerwentDiluted 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

I always liked Isolation. Therapy? did a good cover of that. But Atmosphere is the one that gives me the hair on the back of the neck sensation like few other songs do (Hollidays Strange Fruit & Johnny Cashs' Hurt being two others I can immediately recall).

scoobydougan 24 Aug 2020
In reply to mark s:

I like all of Russ Abbott's output

In reply to scoobydougan:

Control or Love will tear us apart, for the memories more than anything else.

My favourite song about Joy Division (bit of a tangent, sozza) is "Joy Division oven gloves" by Half Man Half Biscuit.

steveriley 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

“Have you all forgot Rudolf Hess!?” They had me hooked from day 1, track on the quite brilliant 10” ‘Live at the Electric Circus’, then meeting up at a friend’s house (he’s on here actually) because we’d heard Tony Wilson was putting them on Granada Reports. 40 years later my daughters have their posters and bought me the 40th anniversary reissue on red vinyl. Don’t listen to them that often, but absolutely on my desert island discs.

Removed User 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Got to be Transmission with Tony Wilson introducing it on ITV.

PeterBlackler 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Music connoisseur (and sometime mountaineer) Joe Simpon says it's "Love Will Tear Us Apart"
see his Desert Island Discs https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00936g4

He talks about a winter season in Chamonix to a sound track of Salford's finest...   

webbo 24 Aug 2020
In reply to PeterBlackler:

Who’s Salford’s finest.

Clauso 24 Aug 2020
In reply to webbo:

> Who’s Salford’s finest.

John Cooper Clarke? Mark E. Smith? Tony Wilson? L. S. Lowry?... Paul Scholes?

Not Joy Division, anyhow: one of them is from Macclesfield. Bloody stockbroker on drums. 

webbo 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Clauso:

It appears according to Wikipedia that 2 are from Salford, one from Stretford and one from Macclesfield. I thought they were all from the wastelands of Cheshire.

Clauso 24 Aug 2020
In reply to webbo:

Heretics! Burn them!

Clauso 24 Aug 2020
In reply to webbo:

On a serious note, though; just imagine a band composed of John Cooper Clarke? Mark E. Smith? Tony Wilson? L. S. Lowry?... And Paul Scholes?

I'd pay to see that. 

In reply to Denni:

I love the live 78/79 versions of Shadowplay and Shes lost control, they're so raw, less clinical than the Hannett production for Unknown Pleasures (although I do regard his work with Joy Division as a bit of a stroke of genius). there's just something about them live that's totally and utterly hypnotic. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD2SfQJOK08&list=RDtk_JUYyutTM&inde...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk_JUYyutTM&list=RDtk_JUYyutTM&star...

hokkyokusei 25 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

You can't make me choose just one!

But, Dead Souls.

OP Denni 26 Aug 2020
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I'd clearly forgotten about some of the other classics!

I thought it would be sacrilege but I quite liked that Moby cover so lets include covers as well.

afx22 26 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Radiohead’s version of Ceremony is especially good.

The Pylon King 27 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Komakino.

And of course all true Joy Division fans know that there are no good cover versions of any JD songs.

Maybe Radiohead's Ceremony.

Post edited at 22:08
 aln 28 Aug 2020
In reply to The Pylon King:

> Maybe Radiohead's Ceremony.

Not even that. One of the best attempts but the 2 originals are much better. 

aln 28 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Another rare interview with Ian.  youtube.com/watch?v=slM8abSW2ww&

Sherlock 28 Aug 2020
In reply to steveriley:

Ha, I'm on the sleeve of that album 😊!

Fabulous weekend. Favourite track? Impossible, like trying to pick your favourite route.

The Pylon King 31 Aug 2020
In reply to climbercool:

> Im a massive Joy division fan but i reckon Moby does New Dawn Fades even better!

You must be joking!

The Pylon King 31 Aug 2020
In reply to Denni:

Who saw them live?

I saw them twice, once at The Rainbow supporting The Buzzcocks and then at High Wycombe Town Hall supported by Killing Joke, ACR and Section 25. That one was life changing for me. And there is a great recording of it.

blurty 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Denni:

Love will tear us apart - but one of the live versions. Hannet, the producer apparently got the band to slow down quite a few of their numbers including Love will. 

Live, the pace is much higher - and the song is much better for it in my opinion.

OP Denni 21 Sep 2020
In reply to blurty:

Just had these on loop on the car, It’s amazing how you forget things this good!

youtube.com/watch?v=6dBt3mJtgJc&

youtube.com/watch?v=oGMPIynCni8&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...