Dead man’s shoes - now in cinemas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 17 Sep 2023

Saw this Shane Meadows cult classic in my local indy cinema last night (Belper) It looked great on the big screen. Despite us having seen the film several times over the years, we still left the cinema with that hollowed out feeling, Shane Meadows films all tend to do this (This is England etc) 

This was the film that launched Paddy Considine and all filmed in and around Matlock so very much a local interest to us. It’s approaching it’s 20th anniversary hence back in cinemas, highly recommend 

ripper 17 Sep 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

The DVD version is also very highly recommended - it comes with a lot of deleted scenes, some which are really powerful, and also show the semi-improv way of working 

GEd_83 17 Sep 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

Great film. I love This is England too, the film and the TV sequels, although never got around to watching This is England '90.

OP wilkie14c 17 Sep 2023
In reply to GEd_83:

You probably need to as it ends the combo/milky story 

GEd_83 18 Sep 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

I'll add it to my winter watch list

ThunderCat 18 Sep 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

It's simply an amazing film from start to finish.  So many epic scenes in there and the acting is spot on and so bloody natural II thought the banter and chemistry between the three dealers was funny as hell (don't mention the elephant man... ).

The toe to toe stand off between Gary Stretch and Paddy Considine has to be a classic scene by now ("You're f***ing THERE mate").

And I've just realised I've not seen it for a long time.  I need to dig out the DVD today.

dunc56 18 Sep 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

They did a screening at the Showroom in Sheffield on Friday - with Q and A with the producer Mark Herbert. He has some great stories. Apparently Paddy didn't stay with the rest of the cast during filming, so the scene where he meets Gary Stretch for the time when Gary is going to scare him off .... It's the first time they ever met in person. So the awkwardness and authenticity is real ! 

Sharp 18 Sep 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

Absolutely love this film, must watch it again

nickcanute 18 Sep 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

Great film with that memorable scene of scary AF Considine facing off Stretch. Filmed around the time we were starting to develop Masson Lees Q and there is a scene of Considine walking up the lane - it wouldn't surprise me if they had to adjust their shots to exclude Gary's car being parked in the layby most of the time.

ripper 19 Sep 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

>  the banter and chemistry between the three dealers was funny as hell (don't mention the elephant man... ).

> .

You should check out Meadows' recent TV series 'The Gallows Pole' (which also stars a few This is England alumni) for a cheeky reference to this scene

TechnoJim 19 Sep 2023
In reply to dunc56:

One of my most treasured possessions is a piece of paper signed by Paddy Considine, on which he'd written "To Jim - Get up and dance at my party you f******* c***". 

OP wilkie14c 19 Sep 2023
In reply to TechnoJim:

Brilliant!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...