Chick Corea RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 12 Feb 2021

Just heard that Chick Corea has died when I tuned into the early evening jazz show on France Musique

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/open-jazz/hommage-a-chick-corea-1-2-... 

IM 12 Feb 2021
In reply to Doug:

Sad news indeed.  Had a ticket to go see him last year but it was cancelled due to covid. One of the all time greats.

keith hal 12 Feb 2021
In reply to Doug:

So sad to hear it. One of the true modern greats.  Saw him with the Electrik band in Glasgow in 1990. Wonderful gig. A truly inspirational musician... Peter Erskine described hearing "Now he sings , Now he sobs" for the first time as like being sent a postcard from the future...with Chick,Roy Haynes and Miroslav Vitous showing the way as to what a modern acoustic trio could do.  Awesome stuff. RIP Chick.

john arran 12 Feb 2021
In reply to Doug:

What a shame. His duet album with Herbie Hancock will long stay in my memory as a groundbreaking musical tour de force, the like of which I'd never encountered before.

OP Doug 12 Feb 2021
In reply to john arran:

its his duets with Gary Burton (vibraphone) that I play the most often

65 12 Feb 2021
In reply to Doug:

Yes, I saw this last night, it's taken me a while to digest it. A true giant and one of the last of the Bitches Brew veterans. I saw him in 2006 in Edinburgh, there are few other concerts I'm so glad to have been to.

In reply to Doug:

My gateway to Chick Corea was through Stanley Clarke into Return to Forever. What a fabulous touch and brilliant composition. His playing is so melodic and well judged. Worth watching him playing with Lenny White and John Mcgloughlin on YouTube. JM as usual manages to get a horrible tone out of a PRS guitar and operates it (to quote Zappa) like a machine gun. Chick Corea somehow manages to come out brilliantly with beautiful tunes despite all the bombast. Genius.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...