Stanage Plantation Pay and Display Carpark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 17 Apr 2023

Has anyone recently used the above car park? I've been told on Facebook that you can now pay by card - has anyone seen this? Good news if correct.

I went to Stanage on Saturday and unsurprisingly it was really busy at Popular End, with some pretty poor parking around the free parking there. I parked down the road a bit, completely off the road and blocking nothing, but I'm not sure of the legality of parking there and am very much aware that driving there on my own to meet friends at the crag makes me part of the problem. I don't object to sometimes paying at the pay and display but have never had the right coins in the past. If there is card payment there now, it sounds like finally the relevant authority has listened to user groups!

Luke90 17 Apr 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I think you've been able to pay by card there for quite a while now. Fairly sure I remember doing it last summer.

I share your struggle with having enough coins, especially now that parking for the day is so often well over a fiver. Fortunately I find that almost all car parks take cards these days (and contactless, which is handy for phone payments). The intermediate solution of different apps and phone numbers for mobile payments at every car park was also a complete pain in the arse.

kristian Global Crag Moderator 17 Apr 2023
In reply to TobyA:

If Hollin Bank takes cards it has not been updated on the website yet. The £40 annual permit is expected to rise soon so better to get one now if you're interested.

https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/planning-your-visit/parking/parkin...

Andypeak 17 Apr 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Definitely takes card. I paid on card a few weeks ago

Yes takes card now. I may have given a very loud cheer when I found this!

The old coin system was a nightmare, particularly when it randomly decided not to work for some people but not others, and the phone line on the machine didn't actually go through to anyone who could help. And this during Covid when working from home so the chance of going to a bank to get coins out was practically zero. 

I would also be interested in the legality of parking as you describe outside the bays but clearly not in the way. Never really sure what you get ticketed for there (not condoning parking like a knob, but bad parking and parking which generates tickets don't always correlate...) 

midgen 18 Apr 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Card machine has been there around a year now, and I have used it more since....makes things easier for people and they don't mind giving you money, who knew!

(Now if they'd use some of the money to make the toilet block less of a cesspit, that'd be grand).

OP TobyA 18 Apr 2023
In reply to midgen:

I guess I didn't park there last year at all - I remember parking there on a lovely summer evening and meeting Dave G of this parish there, but that must have been 2021 (this seems to happen more and more as I get older!).

Great to hear that's it's been done, I've been to the Stanage Users Forum a few times in recent years and it was always raised even pre COVID when parking didn't seem quite as bad. And the BMC area meetings discussed numerous times. The PDNP always had a reason they couldn't go cashless. 

From up top it looked quite busy this Saturday. So hopefully people are using it more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...