Slipstones Parking Reminder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The landowner of the Slipstones parking (also owns the crag) has been in touch with the BMC's Access Rep in the last week to complain about incidents of the parking signage not being followed. A photo was sent showing more cars than allowed for in the agreement including ones blocking the turning area. The signage is clear. If climbers choose to ignore it there will definitely be an increase in access difficulties here.

In the interest of maintaining access please follow the arrangement as outlined on the signage. Thanks.

Offwidth 05 Mar 2024
In reply to Access BMC (England):

Thanks for the heads up!

spidermonkey09 05 Mar 2024

A reminder that if you arrive and there are already three cars in the parking area, ample alternative parking is available by the telephone box down the road. This is already on the RAD. here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/2G2XYTMxkqstGwWj9

Ditch pads and bags at the full spot, park car at the telephone box and walk back up. 10 minutes at most, less if unladen/trotting. 

Post edited at 16:10

If anyone knows the owner (or is the owner) of one of these vehicles will they please let them know that breaking the parking agreement here is against against the interests of climbers and very likely to lead to further access problems including the owner trying to close off this parking area (easily done using big rocks elsewhere).

White Peugeot - NY16 CZC

Silver Ford - HV71 WYD

White Dacia - YL67 VAY

Silver Peugeot - FD61 OXP

Obviously these may not be climber's vehicles, but if they are  they should know that ignoring the clearly worded parking signs is asking for trouble.

veteye 11 Mar 2024

Is there mileage in placing an addendum to notices revealing those number plates (as warning to other would-be parkers in the area when full), or is there a legal problem with that?

DaveHK 11 Mar 2024

Out of curiosity, when did the sign go up? I was there about three weeks ago and hadn't noticed it before. Not that I'm there that often!

In reply to DaveHK:

The signage went up in late October. 

There are three signs. One in the middle and one at each end marking the extents of the agreed parking.

petegunn 11 Mar 2024

There was 3 cars there when I went last so dropped the gear off and parked back down by the telephone box, luckily I got a lift back up the road on a farmer's quad bike!

After reading the sign I do wonder if some people are misinterpreting it thinking it means no parking past that point i.e further down the road, rather than not parking past the actual sign/post!? 

DaveHK 11 Mar 2024

> The signage went up in late October. 

> There are three signs. One in the middle and one at each end marking the extents of the agreed parking.

Thanks. I didn't think they'd been there in early October when I was last there so that confirms I'm not losing my marbles!

In reply to petegunn:

That is possible. However, the sign also states a maximum of three vehicles only. You'd have no reason to park beyond the signs if you were one of three or fewer vehicles.

spidermonkey09 11 Mar 2024
In reply to petegunn:

That is an extraordinarily generous interpretation. How much clearer could it possibly be?

Rick Graham 11 Mar 2024
In reply to spidermonkey09:

> That is an extraordinarily generous interpretation. How much clearer could it possibly be?

I don't know, not having read the signs exact wording. Any chance of a photo of the signs?

Some mention of the nearest possible alternative parking could be useful on the signs.

I thought Pete just raised the valid point that misinterpretation was possible.

FWIW, my only visit to Slipstones was in 1971 /2, never felt the need to return. Might have a revisit to see what all the fuss is about.

In reply to Rick Graham:

There's an equivalent sign at the other end of the parking area (and one in the middle). 

The QR code goes to the RAD which details alternative parking down the road. It was a deliberate choice to keep this info off the signs, so that the main points didn't get lost by people skim reading the signs.

Post edited at 13:32

DaveHK 11 Mar 2024

I thought it was pretty clear. Not sure how much use the QR code would be though, I don't get any signal there (O2).

DaveHK 11 Mar 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

> FWIW, my only visit to Slipstones was in 1971 /2, never felt the need to return. Might have a revisit to see what all the fuss is about.

I've spent quite a lot of time there, especially for someone who lives in the Highlands! Mainly because it's a nice location and a good place to go on your own. I often find myself in the North of England looking for places to climb alone as my wife doesn't climb.

Good bouldering, excellent micro routes but most of it is a bit short if you want to lead.

Post edited at 16:02
In reply to DaveHK:

Fair point.

It's worth having the app version of the RAD for this reason. It allows you to view crag entries without needing a data connection.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...