Sizeable rock fall today! Wyndcliff quarry

jon_gill1 17 Mar 2024

Gallions Reach (5c)A large amount of rock (300-500kg) collapsed above ‘Gallions reach’ lower off at Wyndcliff quarry today! Nobody hurt, absolute miracle with a busy crag day as would have been horrendous for anyone in that corner or walking along path as it went! Still more unstable rock above but unable to do anything today with large numbers of people at the crag. It’s up on local fb group, hopefully a friend will take a look this week as I’m working away. **Stay well clear till it’s sorted!** circled rock is what will need removing imminently!

bpmclimb 18 Mar 2024
In reply to jon_gill1:

Hi Jon. Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. I've put a warning up on both the crag page and the route entry.

BMC Cymru 18 Mar 2024
In reply to jon_gill1:

Thanks for reporting - it will appear on the BMC RAD as well.

bpmclimb 19 Mar 2024
In reply to jon_gill1:

I'd do something about this myself; unfortunately, I'm tied up next few days, and going away at the end of the week. Hopefully someone else will sort it soon.

.... definitely concerning, especially given the popularity of that little area.

Mark Storey 21 Mar 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

Just seen this. Have you had a look? I can easily pop down and tape the area off if needs be?

bpmclimb 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Mark Storey:

Hi. No haven’t had a look. I’m in Spain at the moment. 

Loading Notifications...