Recent Portland Landslide

AlexMonad 11 Mar 2024

Hello everyone, not sure if this has been posted, couldn't find any information about it.

Landfall in Portland : https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/24146573.landslip-eats-into-south-west-co...

Apparently it's in Blacknor Central after the Monsoon Malabar area, not sure which routes are affected.

Generally, it's impossible to access anything after that area if you're coming from Blacknor South towards central and North and obviously the same if you're coming from North. 

JIMBO 11 Mar 2024
In reply to AlexMonad:

It's a shame the photos in the article seem to show the slip of 2014 that lost the Battleship entry.

It would be good to know if the article is using stock photos, the old slip has got worse or if there is more to be seen in Blacknor Central

johnl 11 Mar 2024
In reply to JIMBO:

Yes that's the site of the 2014 slippage that has gone again recently. There was no evidence of slippage around Blacknor Central when I went down with binoculars and looked from afar a week ago.

beefy_legacy 11 Mar 2024
In reply to johnl:

The photo is credited to the guy who is the source of the story, so maybe the whole story is wrong? Fingers crossed.

Pu11y 11 Mar 2024
In reply to AlexMonad:

The picture is old, but there has been a major landslip slightly more north.

It's between Blacknor South and Blacknor far South IIRC. A large amount of mud has come down on the crag base and it would look to be unsafe to climb currently.

There was a relatively large rockfall at The Cuttings recently too, just past the The Cutting Edge, and the path past The Cuttings is now closed due to major subsidence, although it does not seem to affect the climbing areas. 

There is also some slippage under The Nook which you can see from The Neddyfields area, although I don't think it effect's its stability. 

I walked the Monsoon Malabar area recently and there was nothing major there, although the path is almost nonexistent in places. 

John Alcock 02 Apr 2024
In reply to AlexMonad:

There has also been a significant rockfall around the start of Return to Roisy.

Loading Notifications...