Any update on Symonds Yat

Danbow73 09 Apr 2024

I've seen that the closure applied to Symonds Yat expires soon, does anyone know what the current situation is? 

In reply to Danbow73:

To the best of my knowledge the whole Symonds Yat climbing area is still off-limits to climbing pending a survey for stability. I've checked on the local tourist info sites and they are all still saying no access allowed. Frustrating given that the rock fall was in one small area of the spot!

Mark Kemball 11 Apr 2024
In reply to Danbow73:

According to the website https://www.forestryengland.uk/article/symonds-yat-rockfall-update#:~:text=.... , the closure of the access land ends tomorrow (12th April). My personal view (note , I'm not longer BMC SW area chair) is that that they've had enough time to sort this out and we should no longer be cooperating with any voluntary ban on climbing. I'm sure this will be up for discussion at the next SW area meeting, 23rd April.

I've never actually climbed at Symonds Yat, but the ridiculous current situation makes me want to go there and climb as soon as it is dry.

OP Danbow73 11 Apr 2024
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Thanks for your thoughts, they echo my own but don't want to do anything to risk any existing relationships between forestry and BMC

Mark Kemball 11 Apr 2024
In reply to Danbow73:

It's probably worth waiting until after the area meeting, I suspect it may take until at least then to dry out...

Indignancy 12 Apr 2024

Possibly worth pointing out that someone clearly saw this post and extended it to June…

I really enjoy the Yat, and hoping to be able to climb there again in future. The closure really reduces the amount of low grade single pitch in the Wye Valley, Snoozin' Suzie (VD) was one of the first leads I actually remember! 

Paul Baxter 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Indignancy:

"Possibly worth pointing out that someone clearly saw this post and extended it to June…"

Although the reason for the closure is still given as 'Tree Felling'...

Mark Kemball 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Paul Baxter:

This is now even more dubious - tree felling now that birds are nesting???

fred99 13 Apr 2024

I do hope that the RSPB take legal action against anyone - both individuals and Company Officers - who fell trees anywhere near nesting birds. And I trust that would also include anyone who authorises same.

There is a meeting this week with myself, the access rep for the area and Forestry England. I'll update the RAD following on from this. Unfortunately I can't go into further detail as yet.

Regards the current restriction. FE applied to Natural England for an extension to the CRoW closure, so this is not a voluntary ban.

I'm hoping and expecting to be in a position to give a more detailed answer by the end of the week. 

OP Danbow73 12:42 Sun
In reply to Access BMC (England):

Is there any further information on what areas might be reopened and when? (I saw the FE update)

It does seem a bit ridiculous that the complete ban has been extended, when FE have had 9 months to sort this out and the rockfall only effected one small area. 

In reply to Danbow73:

The findings of the report and the work it recommends mean that the extent of the area that will remain closed for the time being is considerably greater than the area directly associated with last year's rockfall.

The process of commissioning and receiving the report took some time and we have been pressing FE about opening up climbing ever since the rockfall. I agree it's frustrating that the process of identifying work areas and potential for opening routes has taken this long, but the local FE managers give every impression that they are now doing what they can to open up some climbing as soon as possible. Currently we're waiting on a map needed to plot which routes will fall in and out of restrictions.

Loading Notifications...