Anston stones new restrictions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dechume1991 13 Apr 2022

pulled up at anston stones to find two workman putting up new fences along the edge of the woodland. They were taking photos of the new fences as I was sat in my car not knowing my friend had arrived and was parked further down. I believe I saw one of them take a photo of my car in my mirror which I thought was a bit strange. they left after a couple of minutes and I saw my friend walking up. Apparently they had been told by the workmen that climbing was now fully banned in the wood not just by the railway lines as per the new access advice and the woods are protected as an sssi. Anyone caught climbing would face a hefty fine. Can anyone shed any light on this? I have seen the no climbing sign on the gate before but always assumed it was old and access had been granted to climb as there were no access restrictions posted anywhere.

Post edited at 00:16
 Graeme Hammond 13 Apr 2022
In reply to dechume1991:

Being a SSSI doesn't necessarily mean climbing is not allowed it depends what the SSSI status is for. There are plenty of locations which have SSSI status where climbing is allowed, Stanage is a particularly well known example.

In reply to dechume1991:

Where was this fence?

My understanding was that there were rare plants of SSI on some of the buttresses which aren't climbed on, which is why new development beyond areas already established isn't allowed.

Its very possible the workman has just been told to put a fence up and has seen the signs on the gate which he is repeating. 

OP dechume1991 13 Apr 2022
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

The fence is bordering the wood up from the gate running alongside the lay by. Blocking anyone from going straight into the woods without using the gate. We decided not to climb and went elsewhere. I just wonder whether they're tightening up restrictions in general after the complaint of people climbing near the tracks on apprentice wall.

ebdon 13 Apr 2022
In reply to dechume1991:

Crapbags, I currently have a project on apprentice wall, although I always thought this access very was dodgy, so close to the railway.  It will be a real shame if other parts of the woods are restricted. I shall watch this thread with interest if theres an 'official' response as an Anstons aficionado.

ChrisBrooke 13 Apr 2022
In reply to dechume1991:

On UKC. The BMC rad app doesn’t seem to have caught up with this new restriction/ban. 

ebdon 13 Apr 2022
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Oh well, there goes that project. 

It was probably to hard for me anyway.

OP dechume1991 13 Apr 2022
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Yeah I had seen that prior to making this thread and that's obviously very clear cut, dont climb there. I'm just wondering about the other sectors.

Baz P 18 Apr 2022
In reply to dechume1991:

I do wonder if this line is still being used as it is a mineral line linking the old Maltby colliery to the main Worksop line. Once, or if, reclamation has stopped then the council needs to make this into a cycle/ walking trail.

In reply to Baz P:

It's definitely still being used. I've seen loads of trains go past on it. 

Baz P 21 Apr 2022
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

I did wonder as I live about half a mile from a pedestrian crossing on this line where the trains have to sound their horn and I’ve not heard any recently. There can’t be much reclamation left to do by Hargreaves and once they have finished the line should be put to good public use like the Thurcroft mineral line.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...