Rear Bike Rack For Van

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 09 May 2022

Morning All,

I'm finally thinking it may be time to bit the bullet and buy a bike rack and was looking foir recommendations.

Basically, it will have to go on the back door (barn door) of a Citroen Dispatch, and carry 1 mountain bike and 1 road bike.

Ideally it would fold quite flat when not in use, but just a basic type job would do.

The couple I've seen advertised so far were marketed under the "to fit VW Camper" heading and thus asked similarly crazy prices. Was hoping for something a little more sensible.

Thanks

Frank

Ryan23 09 May 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

I have this on a rear door of my Transit. Wide enough rack and far enough away from the door for a mountain bike but takes a road bike fine too. Folds up when not in use but it's not especially small when folded.

Many I looked at had a rack too narrow to take a mountain bike tyre, or were so close to the van that you would have to turn the handlebars to get it to fit.

I says it's for a caravan/motorhome but it fitted fine and I've not had any problems.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/motorhome-accessories/bike-racks/thule-elite-g2...

Basemetal 09 May 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Have you got a towbar? The towball mounted racks are usually simplest and cheapest, and mount very solidly. The scissor action clamp takes seconds to fit and can be £20. I used mine on a Doblo.

Jim Lancs 09 May 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Look through the Fiamma website and see if they do one for the Dispatch.

ChrisJD 09 May 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Go Thule if you can. The Fiamma one we had was made of jelly; it didn't last.

(I'm sure that Thule make the VW branded ones as well)

... but a tilt-able towball one is the best way to go IMO; but not sure how that all works with barn door, only every had tailgate door; tow ball racks can be £££ for a decent one.

Basemetal 09 May 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

>; tow ball racks can be £££ for a decent one.

Mine was from Tesco IIRC, and I think I've seen the same in Aldi. It has proved pretty tough, though very simple. But you're right, they can be pricey.

The big differentiator seems to be whether you go for a simple hang-on rack where the bike dangles from two arms by its top tube (suitably bungeed for stability) or a more supportive wheel support design. Not all frame designs can be simply 'hung' without using an accessory bar to provide a 'top tube' or avoid cable routings -my Y-frame Gary Fischer needed one (another £10 or so). Carrying two bikes at a time could also be a bit scratchy on the simplest designs ( tennis balls can help). I usually carry only one bike (with occasional guests) and it has been fine.

OP Frankie boy 09 May 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

I don't have a towbar, but have considered the option of getting a used towbar and fitting that (it seems the cost of a towbar and towbar bike mount seems similar to the cost of a posh fiamma one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...