Brake pads: metal, ceramic or sintered?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 21 Jan 2021

I'm currently running Noah & Theo "semi ceramic sintered" pads on my MTB but they're starting to get a bit thin.  N&T don't seem to do those ones any more, now offering only semi-metallic, ceramic or sintered.  I'm leaning towards the ceramic on the grounds that they are supposed to be more "rotor friendly" compared to sintered.  Although the sintered pads are supposed to be the best for outright stopping performance I'm not sure that a trail/x-country rider like me needs quite the level of braking that an avid downhiller might deem essential.

The other alternative, of course, would be to look for an alternative source.

Grateful for any suggestions, advice or recommendations from those with knowledge and/or experience of this kind of thing.

ebdon 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Martin W:

I've always used sintered pads (riding in the peak in the wet eats pads, anything softer just got destroyed) dispite the warning on the rotors I've never had an issue and only had to replace rotors due to bashing and bending them (I.e. not pad related) 

I am too shit to notice a difference in performance

lpretro1 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Martin W:

Just check your rotors first - some are marked as a 'Resin' only (also known as 'organic' - they will work but sintered pads being metallic will wear that type out quickly

OP Martin W 21 Jan 2021

I'm using sintered pads already, on metal-compatible discs, so that's not an issue.

In reply to Martin W:

I’ve never heard of “semi ceramic sintered” pads. Do you know the composition as google doesn’t come up with an answer? Prob a hybrid of some sort, but depending if they more metallic or more ceramic comp may give you a guide to which alternative?

Choice for me depends on personal preference based on what the priorities are and what is considered the best for the under wheel conditions, whether it’s wet or dry weather wise, and type of terrain normally ridden. There will be some compromise with any pad in highly variable conditions with my riding.

I run only metallic and/or semi metallic nowadays. I’ve trashed resin pads in just over 100 miles with my riding and not had reliable enough braking to put up with!

Metallic (on mtb only) in winter; sometimes semi though if dry or drier winter riding as well as all year on other bikes. I don’t do downhill, but I use metallic for the extremely wet and muddy rides that are too high a proportion of my rides to get the best (imo!) reliable braking and longevity. This winter though I’m actually running metallic on front and semi metallic on rear for various reasons, but that is a long story.

Semi metallic are my general go to year round pads for the riding I do, but metallic is definitely better for my winter use. Just my preference to use semi metallic most of year. I don’t see the need to complicate matters by using ceramic - don’t see the benefit of ceramic to me. Pads are cheap for what they have to put up with and so easy to change.

BTW, I’ve never found metallic or semi metallic pads to be overly hard on the discs. Last time I change discs it was after around 3500 miles which given the harsh conditions they had to put up with was acceptable imo. I can’t see ceramic would have extended their life (but that is just a guess on my part).

Post edited at 19:54
 Jon Greengrass 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Martin W:

Sintered pads on all my bikes, all more than 10 years old, no visible wear on the rotors. Ride a couple of thousand km a year, my regular ride has a 5km descent with over 350m elevation drop so it’s not like they don’t get used. In my experience riders who prefer organic pads cite that the excuse that sintered pads don’t provide as much braking force for the same force at the brake lever, with a rock climbers grip strength I have never found it a problem to lock either wheel.

OP Martin W 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Thanks for those observations, useful info.

> I’ve never heard of “semi ceramic sintered” pads.

I'm now thinking that it was a slightly garbled eBay listing title.  The way they sell them on there, you can choose resin, semi-metallic, sintered or ceramic from the same listing.  It's possible that got a bit garbled around the time I bought them.  Looking more closely at the order confirmation, it looks like I ordered (and got) sintered pads.  I may try the semi-metallic this time around - though probably the main priority should be giving the calipers a clean as they've got horribly clarty this winter.  Fortunately there is a really good Park Tool video that shows how to do this.

OP Martin W 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> In my experience riders who prefer organic pads cite that the excuse that sintered pads don’t provide as much braking force for the same force at the brake lever

Odd.  I've never had that problem since I switched to sintered - which was precisely because the resin pads it came with couldn't have stopped an ant out for a leisurely stroll.  They may be referring to the fact that resin pads are supposed to have a more positive initial bite but my experience was that they faded badly, and quickly, on steep descents.  Especially unwelcome when you weren't expecting to encounter such terrain...

gravy 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Martin W:

lookup disco brakes I use the yellow pads (sintered I think) from there -  plenty of stopping power for me.  They last and (important for me) they don't squeak.

In reply to Martin W:

> may try the semi-metallic this time around

If you have been happy with the “noise” of your pads particularly if what you have had is full metallic, you might want to stick to the same manufacturer.

You will be aware that metallic pads are generally noisier, and I’ve found the difference between manufacturers can be quite significant to my ears when it comes to noise levels. Manufacturers use their own composition formula; with semi metallic I’ve heard, anecdotally, this can vary as much as 40% as to the level of metal used. I’ve certainly had a set of semi metallic pads that were so noisy that I discontinued their use fairly quickly!

OP Martin W 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

The sintered pads I'm currently using haven't been particularly noisy until recently, when they've suddenly taken to squealing like a stuck pig when wet.  Might be something to do with the current low temperatures, or because they're getting a bit marginal thickness-wise, but they might also benefit from quick rub with coarse emery paper while I await the arrival of their replacements.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...