App for GPX / route following

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 19 Mar 2019

Morning all,

Can anyone recommend an app that I can pt a GPX file into and use it to essentially follow a route on a map. Ideally something where I could maybe download the maps and use it offline. Something basic would be great as I don't know much about them and just want to essentially "follow the pointer".

Dark-Cloud 19 Mar 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

A Garmin 520 Plus would do this.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/623539

OP Frankie boy 19 Mar 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yeah, I'd rather just get an app for my phone if I'm being honest. I already have enpough electronic gizmos that I don't use enough.

Dark-Cloud 19 Mar 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

Sorry, didn't see (or more likely read properly !) the app part.

thepodge 19 Mar 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

There are loads, it depends what you want on your tick list. 

Do you want free maps or paid for maps? OS or OSM? Online or Offline? Android or iPhone?

axor 19 Mar 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

Viewranger

richprideaux 19 Mar 2019
In reply to axor:

Another vote for Viewranger. It's still the best for UK OS mapping on mobiles.

In reply to thepodge:

Ideally I would like free maps, but I'm not too fussed if the detail is not too great on them.

Android phone and maps that can be used offline.

In reply to richprideaux:

Thanks, Ill have a look at Viewranger.

Dan Arkle 19 Mar 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

I tried a few of these apps (not viewranger) and found them all flawed and tricky to use.

You can convert gpx into kml(?) and then use Google maps which is ace. But a bit of a faff to convert and import. 

thepodge 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Much like Dan I have found them all flawed in one way or another. However unlike Dan I find Google maps less than ace for navigating anything other than road and the gpx to kml conversion is a step I don't need. 

My list above was a suggestion of things to think about before spending what seems like a lifetime downloading apps and then finding they aren't what you want. 

wilkesley 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

RideWithGPS can do that. I haven't tried following a route on the app, but use it all the time for uploading routes onto my Wahoo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...