Winter climbing partner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jordanhewitt93 20 Nov 2023

Hi, 

I am looking for a winter climbing partner for a trip to Scotland. I am fairly new to winter climbing so would appreciate somebody with a little more experience for piece of mind but failing that I feel confident leading up to grade IV and soloing up to grade 3 for anybody that has similar experience. I can be fairly open on the date.

Jordan 

mattc 21 Nov 2023
In reply to Jordanhewitt93:

where are you based? 

Sharp 25 Nov 2023

I recall reading a comment from someone last year in a Facebook post about a grade III route on the Ben, saying they wouldn't be confident soloing it. It surprised me a little, as they were a well known MIC on their home patch who had climbed the route many times and I thought it would be a walk in the park for them. Tis a good lesson, IIIs are often IIs, but often they're not, and can be very capable of delivering a spanking!

Even II's can be a little harder than you would like if you don't have a rope on and things are thinner than you'd hoped. The little slab at the start of Ledge Route comes to mind if it's bare, or Gardyloo gully early season. Maybe I'm just getting old and soft 😂

PaulB7 26 Nov 2023

When will you be coming up to Scotland?

DaveHK 26 Nov 2023
In reply to Sharp:

> I recall reading a comment from someone last year in a Facebook post about a grade III route on the Ben, saying they wouldn't be confident soloing it. It surprised me a little, as they were a well known MIC on their home patch who had climbed the route many times and I thought it would be a walk in the park for them.

Was it a mixed route by any chance? Ice is far more straightforward to solo.

morpcat 27 Nov 2023

Whilst I can't sign on for an indeterminate amount of time around an uncertain date to climb in an undisclosed area of Scotland, I'm more than happy to meet up for a Saturday or Sunday if the weather's looking not-terrible and you're climbing in south/central/west. I can supply rack, ropes, coffee, vehicle, and driving services if needed. Drop me a message when you're closer to figuring out your plans. 

In reply to mattc:

I am based in the Peak District but take regular trips to Scotland and Wales. 

mattc 28 Nov 2023

ok mate, do you climb much rock? 

In reply to PaulB7:

I am in Scotland for a charity climb up Ben Nevis but will be available on Sunday 10th and Monday 11th December. I can also be available any dates in feb and march. 

In reply to morpcat:

I am heading to the Glencoe area for a charity hike up Ben Nevis on Saturday 9th December but I’m free Sunday 10th and Monday 11th December. I will also be available any dates in Feb and march. A few routes I’m looking at this season are Aonach Eagach, ledge route, number 2 gully, tower ridge and point 5 gully. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...