Recommend a warm gilet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duncan Beard 29 Oct 2023

Hi folks

I'm pretty scrawny and over 60 so I tend to feel the cold a lot. My basic winter upper body outfit is currently a Sprayway Dornie baslayer and a Rab Vapour-Rise Guide jacket. If I think it's going to be bad I will put on a T-shirt over the baseayer, I have one old but warm polartec one by North Cape. I have a Montane Flux belay jacket (not super warm) and a Tupilak jacket for when things get bad. On long climbs I frequently end up wearing all of this by the time I top out, or just after.

I've been thinking that a decent gilet could work for me, to put on over the VR Guide (It's fairly snug & usually under the harness), when it's not too bad it would be stashed in a drybag. Has anyone got any good recommendations for this? Hopefully more at the low budget end.

In reply to Duncan Beard:

Two options from my experience as someone who can get cold very quick when inactive. Sorry, neither are low budget end, though I would definitely buy either again if I ever needed to. Probably available at reasonable cost 2nd hand though if you don’t mind that.

The warmest synthetic gilet I’ve had and still have is a Paramo Torres. Mine is some 15 years old and is the 133g fill one. Designed for over layering, but I use mine both under and over depending on circumstances. Latest ones are only 100g fill now I believe, but some of the older ones will be about used if you don’t mind that. Not stylish, but practical and mine has been lasted really well, though has had three minor stitching repairs over the years due to the abuse it has had to put up with.

Warmth for the lightest weight I’ve experienced is a Patagonia Micro Puff gilet. As you would expect it is certainly not cheap although I did pick mine up in a sale many years ago, but in my opinion is very warm for its weight/thinness.

Post edited at 22:31
 SFM 30 Oct 2023

I’ve used a similar set up but wearing a merino baselayer and a lighter weight(standard?)VR. The vest I have is a Haglofs Barrier, which has synthetic fill. I also tried a down vest but didn’t feel as warm, perhaps due to the breathability of the VR making the down damp.

CantClimbTom 30 Oct 2023

*If* you can fit medium or small then this is on special offer (£65). A tank top/gilet whatever you want to call them. Warm, cheap and *not* down, so may work in damp countries like UK

https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/icarus-insulated-vest/

Or... For a bit more money (£105). But very warm.. and available in small, medium and large. See link below, also *not* down!

https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/cirrus-insulated-vest/

Post edited at 05:35
 Doug 30 Oct 2023
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

another recomendation for a Patagonia Puff gilet, mines close to 20 years old now, worn lots & only showing slight signs of wear. And very warm for the weight. The current modelis a little different but I'm sure just as good.

TobyA 30 Oct 2023

I ended up with their fleece vest as it was on sale for 8 quid at the time, but I was originally going to get one of these https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-synthetic-mountain-trekking-padded-gile... For 25 quid it seems pretty reasonable. 

HeMa 30 Oct 2023

I got a Haglöfs LIM Barrier vest from the bargain bin, it was a model with Primaloft Aerogel and is without a doubt the warmest (for it's size) gillet/vest I've had (granted haven't had similar sized down vests... but then again, they would not fare well in my used cases, neither in the case of the OP).

Other option (again, go through bargain bins) would be Polartech Alpha based ones. And if used as a middle layer, then a non shelled one will work just fine. That being said, a simple fleece or even wool gillet would also work just fine (have one of those ~200g/m2 Woolpower vests as well... nice and toasty, but also heavier than the Aerogel one from Haglöfs).

Andy Cloquet 30 Oct 2023

Buffalo gillet - I too am fairly light of covering and it works very well for me.

The only model they have on their website is the Teclite - I have a fully fleeced lined gillet and at 5' 9" / 40" Chest I find the Small is fine. Maybe a direct contact with them to see if they have any unadvertised stock? 

https://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/teclite-gilet/

JimmyClimber24 30 Oct 2023

I purchased a great Rab microlight gilet last winter and could not recommend more. It is the perfect thickness without getting in the way.

OP Duncan Beard 07 Nov 2023

Many thanks for all your replies folks, I'll start hunting down some of those options.

kaiser 07 Nov 2023

Not the £105 option.  Ye gods it's not that hard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...