Most versatile kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James123 07 Dec 2023

Talk of value for money and the environmental aspect of kit/clothing in other threads has got me thinking of most versatile bits of kit that are used very often (across sports and different seasons etc) 

I think mine would have to be grid fleece; I use mine from everything from hillwalking, mountaineering, biking, running, gym wear, doing DIY gardening etc, from the coldest days of the year to carried in a rucksack just in case in summer, as an outer layer, mid layer and even base layer in mid winter.

Windproofs are probably up there in terms of cost per wear too.

In reply to James123:

A good pair of socks. A few years ago someone posted a link on here to somewhere doing a sale on Solax thick walking socks for £2.99 a pair. I bought a pair and they were amazing so the next time I noticed there was a sale on again and bought five more pairs. All are still going strong and worn most days throughout each winter whether I'm climbing, walking, going to site or the office or even just shuffling round the house.

chris_r 07 Dec 2023
In reply to James123:

Hexentrics.

Used in:

Winter climbing, summer climbing, as a mallet for tent pegs, for defending yourself from marauding goats, and as in impromptu musical instrument.

Kryank 07 Dec 2023
In reply to James123:

I have an old Rab Alpha Flux Hudded Jacket / Fleece that I wear loads, I trad climb in it, use it for layering, in the garden, going to the wall, you name it, had it a good few years now and still going strong, even after all the mistreatment by my dragging it up grit chimneys and cracks on cold climbing days.

i would also second the wind proof my montane featherlite smock / Rab Borealis gets loads of use and are relatively cheap. 

synthetic down jackets as well my Montane flux gets used loads, Belaying, bouldering, and lives in the car for picking the kids up from school etc. 

shoes wear out too quickly, but clothing represents real value for money if you buy well as it lasts a very long time if taken care of. 

Brass Nipples 07 Dec 2023
In reply to James123:

all my tops that are the vaporise style of soft shell from Montane, Rab, ME. Been using 20 years almost daily and still going strong.

Robert Durran 07 Dec 2023
In reply to James123:

Underpants. Good for everything and worn day and night the duration of any trip apart from when skinny dipping.

CantClimbTom 08 Dec 2023
In reply to James123:

A rucksack/Bergen I bought in 1993 that is a bit big and heavy but still gets use to this day as my big rucksack (Berghaus Cyclops ROC)

ollie1 08 Dec 2023

Hexentrics.

Used in:

Winter climbing, summer climbing, as a mallet for tent pegs, for defending yourself from marauding goats, and as in impromptu musical instrument.

In reply to chris_r:

hexhendrix?

Post edited at 08:35
OP James123 08 Dec 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

😂😂

OP James123 08 Dec 2023
In reply to Brass Nipples:

I'll second that, I've a vapour rise from 7yrs ago that must have been worn hundreds and hundreds of times and apart from a little bobbling looks good as new. Not as impressed with new VR (the alpine light version anyway as they've changed the lining)

tlouth7 08 Dec 2023
In reply to James123:

I have a proper thick wool jersey that was passed down to me and I use a lot. It's warm enough that I can wear just a light shell over the top e.g. when skiing or sailing in cold weather, but take the shell off and it's massively breathable so surprisingly hard to overheat in.

Plus as a colleague said it makes me look like a hipster fisherman.

cacheson 08 Dec 2023
In reply to James123:

Paramo enduro jacket from 2014. Function over form at this stage (looks like a rag), but boy, does it still function. It has had multiple repairs and has needed a new zip since 2019, but that's not bad considering I have used it on over half the days since I bought it for summer, winter and alpine climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, skiing, hiking, bushbashing... In terms of cost per wear, I reckon it's cost about 11p each time I have worn it (so far!)

barry donovan 08 Dec 2023
In reply to James123:

M&S merino long pants 

one wash and they turn into soft pant bliss 

and that has to be good 

cheers BD 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...