Lillehammer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 21 Aug 2023

Hi. Any thoughts compared to rjukan, please? Thinking of a mixed ability group including novices 

wbo2 21 Aug 2023
In reply to David Coley: I assume you've seen this https://www.lillehammerklatreklubb.no/gallery/0-Isklatring-Isklatreforer_fo...

I haven't been there, it looks like it can work very well, but might require a bit more work on the approaches (similar Hemsedal).  Given it's popularity as a ski resort, ditto Hemsedal for it being a challenge to find accomodation that isn't pricey (looks for vinterferie in Oslo schools and avoid that week).

Ian Carey 22 Aug 2023
In reply to David Coley:

I've not been to Rjukan, but I did spend a week in Ringabu, which is just north of Lillehammer.

There is lots to do (I assume you are wanting to climb ice).

We were there in February. Lots of snow & ice.

Was XC skiing as well.

Always had routes to ourselves.

The local sports shop didn't think ice climbing was popular with the locals - they didn't sell any ice gear.

Easy access to most of the routes, but handy to have a car.

I am keen to return.

olddirtydoggy 22 Aug 2023
In reply to David Coley:

For novices that Lillehammer guide suggests there's a real pile of low grade stuff to get on. What we did find in Rjukan however was the routes were quite stepped out due to plently of traffic so for our first season on ice that was nice. The multipitch routes in Hemsedal were wondeful once we had a good couple of seasons behind us. Watching thread with interest.

ExiledScot 22 Aug 2023
In reply to David Coley:

Climbed, but mainly skied there on and off over the last 30 years. Military used a hostel type centre in Sjusjøen, which sadly has changed owner and concept now. There are a few other hostels, but not cheap by uk standards. Best bet is an economy of scale group of 4 for car hire and accommodation, airbnb often has some relatively cheap options out in the countryside as most people want to be right by Lillehammer, Hafjell, Skei or Kvitfjell, avoid spring school holidays. 

wbo2 22 Aug 2023
In reply to David Coley: As well as AirBnb I'd be looking here https://www.finn.no/reise/feriehus-hytteutleie/

In reply to ExiledScot:

I stayed in the amazing place in Sjusjoen back in December '95. It was a military ski course, I had never been on planks before. The hostel was unbelievably good with absolutely incredible food and we did two days XC then two days downhill at Lillehammer then a final XC day back at Sjusjoen. It was one of my best weeks out of many years in the military! 

In reply to David Coley:

... have you seen this... published in December of last year so pretty much bang up-to-date...

https://cordee.co.uk/Lillehammer-Selected-Ice-Climbs-det-0-0-0-19703.html?s...

ExiledScot 23 Aug 2023
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Yeah, the 'restuarant' building still exists, bar, eatery, minishop, but the accommodation has been converted into some sort of mini apartments with their own external doorways. Klaus i think owned the whole set up and some buses, fingers in many pies, likely sold it off or younger family took it over, as he must be nearing 70 now. Shame as it was used by lots private XC ski groups/companies, international teams in the early season as it's altitude meant it got the snow early.

Military moved the ski training to Germany, as much because of cost, i think they lost something else more valuable in terms of the set up, conditions, even the mixing of services in the living conditions, the hut to hut touring was and is arguably the best in Europe. The German set up feels very much a Military training centre, like Indi, a different vibe. Plus everyone who went, went to ski, alcohol prices made sure no one was there for partying! 

OP David Coley 23 Aug 2023
In reply to Richard Wheeldon:

Yes I saw it in outside, thanks, but wanted some comments from those that had been to both. Thanks again 

In reply to David Coley:

Both places are great, and both are ideal for a mixed-ability group... I'm sure you'll have a great trip whichever you decide. If I had to summarise the two...

Rjukan - more climbing options, so slightly better for a longer trip, particularly if you're just set on climbing. The ice is good (often very stepped out), but there are usually lots of people and I personally don't think the valley is the most attractive. Short drives to almost all of the climbing.

Lillehammer - In my view, a nicer valley. It's way more open and spread out, and gets more sunshine!... But the drive to the climbing will be much longer. Despite several large (and excellent) ski resorts, most of the climbing has a more remote and adventurous feel to it. Few of the routes will be stepped out, and there'll be a lot more breaking trail (so it depends if you like this kind of thing!) If you've got any non-climbers, or wish to combine with skiing, then Lillehammer wins it for me. There are, however, far fewer routes if you're there for a long trip.

You could always do a week in each!

Also consider Setesdal, which has slightly less reliable conditions, but is an amazing place when in good nick!

OP David Coley 01 Sep 2023
In reply to Steve Broadbent:

Thanks everyone 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...