Insurance for Cogne for the older climber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phizz4 06 Nov 2023

Heading out to Cogne in January and looking for insurance. I have a general annual policy with Aviva but they don't cover ice climbing or cross country skiing. Quotes from the BMC (135 pounds for 8 days) and Snowcard (over 200 pounds for eight days) are coming in quite high, which is probably due to my age, 72. Any advice from the experienced seniors out there please?

aostaman 06 Nov 2023
In reply to phizz4:

Assuming cross country is 'langlaufing' or sci fondo in Italian and not ski touring,  your loading is coming from age and the ice climbing.  If you have any historical conditions like cancer (I had a melanoma 3 years ago), that counts too.

The quote didn't sound that high. Ice climbing is high risk and the rescue costs are astronomic in a remote (from the primary hospital) village. 

I'd be very surprised if you can get much off £135.00. The BMC insurance has great track record on rescue and medical claims. That'll be worth every penny if the worst happens. 

Slarti B 07 Nov 2023
In reply to phizz4:

I am a few years younger than you and I have Austrian Alpine Club annual membership.  Cover includes ice climbing and dski touring and Is fine for rescue and evacuation but I think the hospital costs are a bit low.  However, if you have the current equivalent of the EHIC card to complement I think you should be ok.  

Offwidth 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Slarti B:

Risky advice, most need better insurance, not "shoulds".... the BMC policy is good but Austrian Alpine Club also have a top up policy.

Post edited at 00:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...