How did you make your worst avalanche-related error(s)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 25 Feb 2017

Discussion in the Storm Doris thread - thanks Dave K for asking the question - got me thinking that it would be good to share stories of avalanche-related decision-making mistakes. If we can learn not only from our own errors but from others' too, we'll hopefully not have to repeat them.

My story concerns descent from a climb on Mess of Pottage a couple of weeks ago.

The wind, if I remember rightly, had, unusually, been easterly and it had been strong, with some snow on it, so we knew there would be quite a bit of unstable windslab about, so our original thought had been to climb with bags and walk off. But then, as we approached, that west-facing slope back down to the corrie from the col north of MoP (often referred to as Windy Col) looked less steep than I remembered, i.e. under 25 degrees. We knew it would be windslabbed, but at that angle it wouldn't matter. What we should have done was get the phone map out and calculate the slope angle (which turns out to be 32-odd degrees, i.e. prime windslab avalanche terrain...) but, with other teams about - it was a Sunday - we wanted to bash on and get on the route, given that the shared first belay - at the bottom of The Message - is probably the most overcrowded in Scotland! Even as it was, we had to queue behind one team. The prospect of climbing bag free, avoiding what would be an extremely windy descent that day from 1141, and not needing to hold everything up by faffing with the map and calculations was very attractive, so we let ourselves be lazy and optimistic. Salutary. We were lucky to get away with it.

(For those that don't know, the way to calculate slope aspect is to find the steepest bit of the slope and divide the height lost by the horizontal distance, then get the inverse tan of that number. Handily, the inverse tan of 0.5 is 26.5 degrees, i.e. if height lost is less than 50m per 100m horizontal, it would be take pretty exceptional conditions for such a slope to avalanche. Phone maps are great for precise measurement of distance. Obviously all this is best done in advance of the climb, as, like us, you won't want to be faffing with this once it's cold, you're wearing gloves and you're trying to get on a route.)

So, lessons learned: think properly about various descent options in advance of the day. If you consider changing plans during the day to something you haven't properly planned for, force yourself to do the work. It's like abseiling in a blizzard when it's dark: force yourself to double check everything. Be wary of believing what you want to believe for the sake of comfort and convenience. It's easy to talk each other into this as a pair, particularly when you're with someone whose judgement you trust.

Edit: a potentially useful tool in the field is a clinometer app for your phone. Some compasses come with them built in. Also worth stating that, although I had both on the day in question, I failed to use them, even though I thought of it as we became worried in descent. It was because, at that stage - at dusk, very windy, tired and a bit cold, and in the knowledge that there was no other safe descent back to the bags that didn't involve a long detour - we both really badly wanted to believe that what we were doing was OK, plus faffing with the phone/compass felt like too much effort. Having said that, I think it might have been different if there'd been a terrain trap rather than a snow field at the bottom - fear outweighing laziness. But it remains that, had one or both of us been avalanched, the consequences could well have been serious.
Post edited at 19:00
In reply to Tricadam:
Good thread. It's a well known phenomenon of "positive reinforcement" that most of us are prone to - where we make bad decision, get away with it and then, next time, think what we dd last time was safe. This thread might help to fly some warning flags!

Since you use a phone for nav, could you also use it as an inclinometer for assessing slope angle? I suppose you have to be "on" the slope to measure it, but if you're getting doubtful you could whip it out and have a quick measure?

As if by magic... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inossoftware.Inclinometer...
Post edited at 19:04
 DaveHK 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Good idea.

All 3 times I've been avalanched (yes I am that stupid) were mainly down to poor visibility and wild conditions which meant I got on to slopes I would normally have avoided. After 2 incidents in quick succession we sat down and had a good hard think about our approach and changed a few things. The main problem was that we'd got over confident in our ability to deal with shit weather. We certainly had the skills to cope with bad conditions but had never really considered how that could lead to us inadvertently getting into avalanche terrain. So now, when it looks dodgy we either complete change objective to something with a safe approach and descent or just don't bother climbing.
Post edited at 20:18
OP Tricadam 26 Feb 2017
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

Have realised that AlpineQuest, the very reasonably priced mapping app I use, has a function which can calculate slope angle for you! Under options you can opt to have the result displayed in degrees. Handy! You can also turn on a function which gives you the spot height of whatever point the cursor is on and, as you draw a travel line, both the horizontal distance and the height lost/gained. Gotta love that app.
 d_b 26 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Descending in deep powder and crappy visibility I ended up going down a convex slope & triggered an avalanche. Got lucky though & managed to stay upright. The stupid thing is that 100m to the left there was a much safer way down but I couldn't see it.

here is a very contrast enhanced picture: http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/Personal/pics/2013/lyngen/lyngen/p1040974_jpg.j...

Another sketchy one from the same trip involved going down a narrow valley from the tongue of a glacier to the road. It was supposed to be about -5 and overcast, but ended up +5 and sunny. Ended up taking about a mile of descent at a dead run with big blocks of ice coming down all around us.

By the end of it the slope we had just been on looked like this:
http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/Personal/pics/2013/lyngen/lyngen/dsc_4081_jpg.j...
http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/Personal/pics/2013/lyngen/lyngen/dsc_4084_jpg.j...

So for the first one I wasn't taking micro navigation seriously enough, and forgot that even small slopes can be dangerous.

And as for the second, well that was just idiocy. Thinking "It's a nice day after all" rather than"Yesterdays safety assumptions are now invalid" was just stupid!
In reply to Tricadam:

I wrote this the evening after it happened (Feb 2016). No answers, just a collection of thoughts

http://gwilymstarks.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/unlucky-or-poor-decisions.html
 Andy Nisbet 26 Feb 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Only three. I counted nine for me, and that was 10 years ago.

DaveHK 26 Feb 2017
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

I'm in good company then!

What makes my blood run cold is thinking about how little attention I gave to the snow pack in the past. I'm probably not alone in this but it's only really in the last 7 years or so (since I started skiing) that I've given it the attention it deserves.
Post edited at 15:08
 Andy Nisbet 26 Feb 2017
In reply to DaveHK:
The last time I got caught was on a slope which was supposed to be a safe aspect, and I set it off from the bottom of the slab so there was little indication that the slope was dangerous. But there was soft snow so the cautious person wouldn't have gone on it.
I was going to keep it quiet but I met Mark Diggins on the walk out and he spotted I was limping.
Post edited at 16:00
 jonnie3430 26 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Two come to mind, once climbing on (I think,) rive gauche and slopes way above us went and we had a powder bath, I hadn't considered the risk from somewhere so far above.

The second was getting into and off savage slit. The forecast was bad and it would dump all day, I also knew that there was a poor bond with the ground at the bottom of about a metre of snow. We picked out way up the rocky bits to get to the base of the route without much drama, after the route I was very worried about getting back from the base of it to the lochan. Our footprints had been filled in, a trial pit showed the weak bond at the bottom, so I knew it was dodgy. We went down single file, each stepping in the footprints created, which were stamped deep and got down safe. An avalanche in the chalamain gap a few days later showed the poorly bonded base. In retrospect, I think we should have gone to mess of pottage.
OP Tricadam 26 Feb 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

> I'm in good company then! What makes my blood run cold is thinking about how little attention I gave to the snow pack in the past. I'm probably not alone in this but it's only really in the last 7 years or so (since I started skiing) that I've given it the attention it deserves.

Ignorance certainly is bliss - until it's not! I watched, heart in mouth, from 1141 on Friday as a couple of people soloed up Alladin's Couloir, not far above where we'd triggered the big slide the previous afternoon (see Storm Doris thread) - and it had been snowing in the interim, overnight winds had favoured further loading of that slope and SAIS said considerable risk on that slope aspect. If we hadn't pre-released it for them, I have little doubt they'd have been at the bottom.

I've just got back into skiing after 3 or 4 years off due to discovering winter climbing. Have just ordered a copy of this, recommended to me by one of the folk in the Eagle Ski Club: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Avalanche-Essentials-Step-System-Safety-Su...
In reply to Tricadam:

I've only been avalanched once. It was while we were in Cogne a few years back. The forecast was for warmer weather and sun, so we decided to stay away from icefalls as we thought they might be unstable. There wasn't much recent snow, so we decided to do a mixed route on the right side of Valnontey ( Sogno di uno Gnomo (WI-4)). We hadn't factored in the snow slopes above, which released on us about 3 pitches in. I was seconding at the time and got pummelled for nearly a minute (it was a point release that funnelled onto us). I had enough time to think:

" Oh shit, that's it"
then
"Hmm, I'm still on"
to
"This is taking ages...I hope there are no rocks in this flow"!

I've set of plenty of small slide skiing, but, so far, always in places where I was expecting it and was testing the slope (low consequence zones!).
 lordyosch 27 Feb 2017
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

On friday I was climbing golden oldy. We took too long over it and got to the summit in a whiteout.

We ended up falling into Coire an Lochan and triggering 2 windslab avalanches trying to get out.
Long story short, freezing night in a bothy bag next to the lochan and a walk out the next day.

Jay
James Jackson 27 Feb 2017
In reply to lordyosch:

Could I ask how you managed to end up in Coire an Lochan from the summit plateau? While the plateau is a very bleak place in a whiteout, it's easy to nav off on a compass bearing to the summit ski patrol hut. This is definitely not a point-and-blame post, it just seems like a good point to learn from.
In reply to all:

I note quite a few of these tales are recent (not unsurprising given the hugely variable snow pack recently); please do report avalanche activity (http://www.sais.gov.uk/report_avalanche/) as it feeds in to a vital service for all hill-goers.
 MG 27 Feb 2017
In reply to James Jackson:

Don't know what happened to Lordyosch, but the descent gully is only a fraction off that bearing and would be easy to fall down in a white out.
In reply to MG:

I suppose coming from the top of Golden Oldie area there is a dogleg in the plateau, with Easy Gully at its apex. I always take great care up there following bearings as there can be some monster cornices overhanging the eastern corries which you wouldn't know about until falling through / off them in a whiteout.
 MG 27 Feb 2017

Very wise. I have once walked off a (small) cornice in a whiteout which I knew was there and was looking for. Even as I stepped into fresh air, I thought my foot was about to touch something solid. You really can not tell. The shock was compounded by the instant silence as I fell out of a gale into the lee of the cornice on soft snow.
 lordyosch 27 Feb 2017

Partly the dogleg, partly the howling crosswind and partly the map was ripped from my hand by the wind!

I've just written up a full version of what happened for my blog which I'll post shortly-ish.
In reply to lordyosch:

> partly the map was ripped from my hand by the wind!

Bugger. I had this happen when skiing some lines off the back of Glas Maol (far side of Glenshee ski centre). Having my map blown away by the wind and in fading day-light I went for the safe option of just trudging back down the stalker's landrover track, knowing it would eventually come to something resembling civilisation. 7km on down Glen Isla I came across a gamekeeper somewhat surprised to see somebody trudging along in ski boots with their skis on their pack (I was actually very content and just dealing with the issue) and offered me a lift back to the A93, from where I hitched back up to my car. This kind offer saved me another 7km or so walk.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...