ARTICLE: The Big Three Rounds - All You Need To Know: Part 1. What, When and How?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The UK's Big Three hill rounds, the Bob Graham, Paddy Buckley and Charlie Ramsay, are lifetime ambitions for many runners and even, these days, backpackers. Each is an inspiring goal, but more than a little daunting. In this series we guide you through the process of planning and undertaking a biggie for yourself.      

Read more

Sean Kelly 31 Jul 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

This is a link to a lad I met doing a solo Ramsey winter round a while ago on Carn Mor Dearg. Interesting footwear with Katoola spikes.

https://imgcdn.ukc2.com/i/137517?fm=webp&time=1555012426&dpr=1&...

Post edited at 09:18
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> This is a link to a lad I met doing a solo Ramsey winter round a while ago on Carn Mor Dearg. Interesting footwear with Katoola spikes.

That's an amazing photograph...

Sean Kelly 01 Aug 2023
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

9 images stitched together. 96 inches wide Rob!

Michael Hood 01 Aug 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Is that a normal amount of snow in winter, or was that a "more snow than usual" winter?

It just looked to me (with my vastly limited experience of winter conditions) that there was rather a lot of snow on the Ben.

elliptic 01 Aug 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

That's a good fresh blanket but nothing out of the ordinary. Early season type conditions, the bigger gullies haven't banked out fully and I'm not seeing much ice in the usual places on Carn Dearg (eg the Curtain).

petemeads 01 Aug 2023

Rob, I must point out that 29th May in the Lakes I had absolutely perfect conditions - starry night, cool breeze from N - NW, near cloudless sunshine and dry underfoot after a month of no rain. Just had to attempt the Joss Naylor despite no hill support, and ran out of steam on Esk Pike. It was a brilliant day on the hills so not really bothered that the challenge was not completed, and less worried about needing perfect conditions if I do try again with proper support.

Coincidentally, my first BGR attempt finished in the same place under much the same conditions (but warmer) in 1989. 2057 should be a good year!

Marek 01 Aug 2023

To your point about 'over-use' of certain paths, another option for those not aiming to go under 24h (or the very fit) is is tick the summits, but find find nicer routes between them particularly on the most popular areas of the Lake District and Snowdonia.

Sean Kelly 01 Aug 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

Winter of 2011 if my memory serves me well. The previous winter was also a good one. You tend to remember those. There was frost hoar crystals growing upwards from the snow surface, and hardly any wind.

Post edited at 15:57

A friend of mine is attempting an unsupported Ramsay round as we speak, he just passed Aonach Beag according to his tracker.

In reply to pancakeandchips:

> A friend of mine is attempting an unsupported Ramsay round as we speak, he just passed Aonach Beag according to his tracker.

How did they get on? Given that they were at Aonach Beag I'm assuming they made it?!

Robert Durran 02 Aug 2023
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> How did they get on? Given that they were at Aonach Beag I'm assuming they made it?!

Not if they were going the same way as the person in Sean's photo! Is that unusual?

Post edited at 12:33
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Not if they were going the same way as the person in Sean's photo! Is that unusual?

This is true and it's not unusual at all. There's a breakdown of who did what on Charlie Ramsay's website. In recent years anti-clockwise has become the most popular, and that's the way I did it, hence presuming (rightly or wrongly) that they were getting close.

Post edited at 12:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...