NEWS: Nine Rescued From Crib Goch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH News 13 Jun 2013
Crib Goch, 3 kbA group of nine walkers had to be helped off Crib Goch by mountain rescue teams yesterday evening, after they'd bitten off more than they could chew.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=68127
 sdawson1 18 Jun 2013
In reply to UKH News: Typical. All organised events should have to register with Ranger and prove they are supported with a minimum ML
 sdawson1 18 Jun 2013
In reply to UKH News: Typical. All organised events should have to register with Ranger and prove they are supported with a minimum ML qualified person.
 ablackett 18 Jun 2013
In reply to sdawson1:
> (In reply to UKH News) prove they are supported with a minimum ML qualified person.

Rubbish I run the Lake District Mountain Trial each year and don't have an ML with me every step of the way. I ran the Yorkshire 3 peaks race and didn't feel the need to have an ML with me!

As I understand it race or event organisers have a responsibility to make sure they aren't putting their participants in unnecessary danger. It's up to them if they ignore that, by ignoring experience and conditions. I would imagine they are then criminally responsible.
 stargazerhill 18 Jun 2013
Last time i did Crib Goch it was foggy, windy and wet. Going along the top i found a group of 9 lads totally unprepared for the conditions (trackie bottoms, trainers and tshirts) being led by a lad who had done it once before with someone so none of them had a map.

It was a case of collecting people as i went along. I had a group of 4 when i started and 17 when i finished at the top. All you need to do is be sensible and realistic and you don't tend to have any problems.
 Dave Stelmach 18 Jun 2013
In reply to UKH News: if they're frightened and unable to adapt to the conditions, then they are in danger and, whilst some respond positively to fright, many behave irrationally and do not have the skills and knowledge to be able to adapt to a frightening and unfamiliar situation. This is not their fault, and many do not know how they will react in such situations until they are confronted by them. These people should not be 'banned' from mountains, but need to be prepared for them and, in some cases led and taught on them. Then they will be able to enjoy them.
 Pete Pozman 18 Jun 2013
In reply to ablackett: The organisers of those events, Mountain Trial and PPP ,have qualified MLs assisting marshalls and they link with rescue services as part of their risk assessments. Nobody's suggesting a hardened fellsman like you needs an ML along with him!
 Up High 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Pete Pozman:
> (In reply to ablackett) The organisers of those events, Mountain Trial and PPP ,have qualified MLs assisting marshalls and they link with rescue services as part of their risk assessments.

That rather poses the question where were the MLs and why weren't they looking after this group! or able to bring them down

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...