NEWS: New Bothy Opens in the Cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 02 Jan 2023

Work has finished on a new bothy in the southern Cairngorms. Ruighe Ealasaid, otherwise known as the Red House, is in a handy location for the Tarf hills.

Read more

PaulJepson 02 Jan 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

What a stunning building! 

Sean Kelly 02 Jan 2023

Is this the derelict building that is beside the Geldie burn Dan?

L.A. 02 Jan 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly: It is. The stonework on it is exquisite. They've been lovingly working on it for a couple of years.

Unfortunately now its ruined my favourite flat camping spot at the Geldie 

Norman Hadley 02 Jan 2023

Looks a terrific building but can someone explain the derivation of the name please? I was reading it (and i may be way off here) more as a tribute to Queen Elizabeth than a colour reference. 

streapadair 02 Jan 2023
In reply to Norman Hadley:

It does translate as Elisabeth's Sheiling, but it's an old name, even older than the late queen.

Norman Hadley 02 Jan 2023
In reply to streapadair:

Thanks, streapadair

Sean Kelly 03 Jan 2023
In reply to L.A.:

That's some transformation from what was a ruin in every sense. Must be over 10 years since I passed this way on our bikes ticking those 2 remote Munros. I have a piccy somewhere of us pushing our bikes through the Geldie. Congrats to all involved.

AWP84 03 Jan 2023

Saw this in it's very early stages of being done, under circumstances where I wished it had been, and it looked great even then! We weren't able to cross the burn to camp near Geldie Lodge and changed plans to return to Linn of Dee, I suspect a dry bothy would have sorted us out!

Great work by all - presumably will get a lot of use!

Roberttaylor 03 Jan 2023

It's a lovely bothy and well-positioned for cross-Cairngorm jaunts. I spent a night there a few months ago, the door was a sheet of chipboard then. It has a cracking stove that draws well and there was plenty of dead wood in the plantation nearest to the bothy. Lots of fallen stuff in the plantation before you get to it, too. 

Shame it's not a bit further from the road/harder to access, I hope it doesn't see the same kind of issues as Ryvoan etc. 

Craig McLaren 03 Jan 2023

Hopefully the DofE mobs will keep away

Lankyman 03 Jan 2023

Is it haunted yet?

Graeme Hammond 03 Jan 2023
In reply to Craig McLaren:

> Hopefully the DofE mobs will keep away

It will be unlikely that DofE groups will use the bothy for a number of reasons see the following text from the DofE website below for the reasons why:

"A bothy is an open shelter that can provide protection in bad weather and during emergencies. Bothies open to the public are run by the MBA in Scotland, Wales and Northern England, these are open for anyone to use, and are not bookable. There are also closed bothies which are managed directly by landowners and not open to the public – anyone wanting to use one of these must seek permission from the landowner, conditions of use will vary, and whether this is appropriate must be considered on a case by case basis.

For MBA bothies the bothy code is clear that groups of 6 or more or commercial groups must not use a bothy. Anyone using an MBA bothy must be aware that there could be other users wanting to use the bothy on the same night, and therefore there may not be enough space for everyone. Therefore teams can never rely on using Bothies. Leaders must also consider their safeguarding policy as unknown adults may arrive at any time. For these reasons, most DofE teams will be prohibited from using MBA bothies for accommodation.

It will usually be more appropriate for DofE teams to use MBA bothies for breaks during the day, and as potential emergency shelters. You can find information about bothies and a suggested session plan to teach teams about using them here. Any teams planning to visit an MBA bothy on their expedition must check the MBA website for any closures or restrictions on use. For teams interested in bothies, planning a route around visiting bothies and submitting reports about their condition to the MBA makes a great expedition aim."

miketinnion 03 Jan 2023

Stunning building, we cycled in last Feb and it looked great then. Would be good to visit now it is finished.  Great work by all inloved.

Flinticus 06 Jan 2023

Walked by this in its former disrepair a few times. Looking lovely now and I suspect will be a very popular bothy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...