My Move to the Mountains: Life in Eryri/Snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

With life unravelling, Nick Livesey sought refuge in Capel Curig. Starting as a grumpy waiter sleeping in his car, he's built a career in the hills he loves, and ten years after that leap of faith wouldn't be anywhere else. Living in Eryri/Snowdonia is rewarding, he says, but there may be hard times too. Here's his unvarnished assessment.     

Read more

Chris_Mellor 03 Jul 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

A very entertaining and informative 9warts and all) read. Thank you Nick.

kaiser 03 Jul 2023

Punter:

"The full Siabod but hold the sausage"

Grumpy Waiter:

"Hold you own sausage"

In reply to Chris_Mellor:

Thanks for having a read, Chris, very much appreciated

In reply to kaiser:

Expertly paraphrased!

TheGeneralist 04 Jul 2023

Great read. Would love to hear more....

Mark Kemball 04 Jul 2023

Great read Nick, but I think you might be a bit harsh on yourself, the time I came to Siabod cafe and bought your book, you were very friendly and happy to chat. 

If you haven’t yet seen Nick’s book, “The Snowdonia Mountains”, you ought to take a look at a copy, it’s beautiful and inspiring  

TMM 04 Jul 2023

Brilliant and good luck to you!

mattc 04 Jul 2023

We still laugh about you giving me grief about my coffee choice. Always loved the banter! 

Really enjoying this series. Please keep them coming. 

I wonder if we'll see one that ends with "I hated it and moved back"... 

Write more Nick Livesey; what you've done is incredible and I'm well jealous! Nature in abundance and moody views even in rain are what I crave...stuck working in B'ham for now but one day...I'm hill walking with sheep in tow 😉

Jeffertsc 05 Jul 2023

Really enjoyable piece and thanks for many happy memories. It recalled my time as an (unpaid) climbing instructor at PyB. Being skint I also spent nights as the grumpiest barman working for the grumpiest owner at Cobdens. Nick, as a Capel resident you must have come across Goggs and the amazing Denise Evans (Morin). I miss the place like mad.

Jamie Hageman 05 Jul 2023

Very nice to read your story Nick.  I'm interested to know what measures you take to keep your spirits up in the short days and often gloomy weather of Winter.  Any hints and tips?  I'm increasingly finding life tough from Christmas until March/April (winter conditions and weather dependent).  

Cheers, Jamie

galpinos 05 Jul 2023

Really enjoyed both the writing and the honesty in this Nick. I can empathise with the desire to escape Northampton too.....

petestack 05 Jul 2023

You might not change a thing, Nick, but I wish you a life without mice and mould!

peppermill 05 Jul 2023

A refreshing change from the "Living our best lives in the mountains with our doggo" and "Forever home" inane bollox outdoor social media usually publishes. Thanks!

mattrm 05 Jul 2023

Excellent article.  Really enjoyed it.

Dan Aspel 07 Jul 2023

Loved reading this - thanks for sharing, Nick! If others are interested, Nick was actually the second ever guest on Mountain Air before it partnered with UKH. You can find it here: https://mountainairpodcast.uk/episodes/2-nick-livesey (hope you can forgive the plug, but Nick's so great to listen to I couldn't resist).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...