PRESS RELEASE: American Heritage Outdoor brand Eddie Bauer has launched a UK website.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 13 Jul 2023

Eddie Bauer is one of the most recognisable outdoor brands in the United States, with an impressive track record of over 100 years of product innovation for outdoor adventurers. The brand has recently launched in the UK and is now celebrating the launch of their new website.

Read more

Damo 13 Jul 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Nice to see they've modified their claim to have "invented the down jacket", which the Australian George Finch did in the 1920s for Everest.

I've used several pieces of EB gear. Their First Ascent line used to be quite good, though it declined. Much of their gear was pretty average, lots of 'travel' Rohan type clothes, but there were some technical gems in there too. They had a good expedition tent, good big down jackets (Peak XV), Primaloft jackets, gloves and some good shell garments. Lots of women's versions too.

I have several pairs of those Guide Pro softshell trousers, because they had a huge range of sizes, colours and with Long variants. They fit great and look good but unfortunately were not so durable, losing stitching and shape after a year or so of wear. Good when on 40% off sale though.

Unfortunately when Covid hit they stopped shipping internationally, so that was that.

Tony Buckley 13 Jul 2023
In reply to Damo:

I have a pair of their trousers; possibly called alpine, or something like that, bought in the US seven or eight years ago.  Lightweight, shower proof, nice stretch to the fabric, no frills and very good too (especially at a sale price).

The colour choice was light grey or that strange colour lots of American brands favour that looks like pee when you eventually release it after being badly dehydrated.  I chose grey.

Quite what they think they'll get out of a UK market already well populated with what they offer, especially at the premium price they're likely to want to demand, is a moot point.  If anyone's especially taken with their stuff I'd not put a purchase off too long as I can't see them being here more than a year or two.

T.

Marmotman 18 Aug 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I've been using the EB stuff for about 10 years, buying it from outlet malls on business trips in the USA. It was always great value, being much cheaper than UK equivalents. Ascent stuff good for basic mountaineering, hiking, travel and similar. Not really technical. Great T shirts - especially as I hate stuff with big branding boasty badges.

I noticed their prices were up a lot on my last trip, and less discounting in malls.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...