UKC

NEWS: Alpkit Nick at the service of Glyn Jones....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 08 Feb 2007
UKClimbing.com forum character Glyn Jones (profile) was worried that his down sleeping bag wouldn't arrive soon enough for the winter weather.

Read the full story here... http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
fish08 08 Feb 2007
Genius.
 Glyn Jones 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Character?

:~D
 CJD 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

slow news day today Mick?

OP Michael Ryan 08 Feb 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> slow news day today Mick?

Not at all. Very fast. Great Ben Nevis report from Dan Bailey and a lovely human interest about 'our' Glynn.

Lots of stuff down the Winter Climbing Forums understandably with the current weather.

Trying to fit all this in between working on features and gear reviews, plus a major site overhaul underway.

Lots going on.

Cheers,

Mick

CJD 08 Feb 2007

it wasn't intended as a slight!

good lord, you people are so *sensitive*

ooo, site overhaul? sounds exciting.
fish08 08 Feb 2007
I presume yis have checked the alpkit website. Could it be a marketing first?
In reply to CJD:
>
> it wasn't intended as a slight!

A slight what?

> good lord, you people are so *sensitive*

You are very presumptious young lady, and please do not take the son of God's name in vain please.

> ooo, site overhaul? sounds exciting.

It is.

CJD 08 Feb 2007

lol

SonyaD 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones: Glynnith yer famous! Will you autograph one of my boobs?
 nikinko 08 Feb 2007

> and please do not take the son of God's name in vain please.

since when have you been the son of God?
 Tiggs 08 Feb 2007
In reply to nikinko: LoL! At one time on here Mick was known as 'The Rev Mick Rockfax'.....
 Glyn Jones 08 Feb 2007
In reply to lasonj:

My pen is in hand awaiting funbags!

Tattoos thread is right about compliments and being nice to each other!
 SonyaD 08 Feb 2007
In reply to nikinko: We are all sons and daughters of God, my child
 Glyn Jones 08 Feb 2007
In reply to lasonj: Not my little horror of a niece!
 SonyaD 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones: Aye, don't let it go to your head mind! You're still a numpty ;oP
 SonyaD 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones: Satan's child?
 Tiggs 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones: Its called karma! You are now like 'Howard' from the Halifax Ads - well done Glyn
 Glyn Jones 08 Feb 2007
In reply to lasonj:
> (In reply to Glyn Jones) Satan's child?

Certainly from his loins!
 Glyn Jones 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Glyn Jones) Its called karma! You are now like 'Howard' from the Halifax Ads - well done Glyn

Oh good lord!

hehe!!!
J1234 08 Feb 2007
I must say I am getting slightly suspicious over the number of times that Alpkit gets mentioned on here. Yes it`s value for money gear, no more no less. Take the headtorch, yes it`s value for money but no more so than a Petzl which is a lot dearer but also a lot better. The bouldering pads are ok, but your only getting what you pay for not some ace pad cheap, I know that Alpkit state this but why do people keep going on about Alpkit as if its such a bargain. A bargain would be Rab gear at Alpkit prices.
Cheers Beds
In reply to J1234:

Just goes to show the value of building valuable customer relationships.

Alpkit have this sussed and good luck to them.
In reply to J1234:
> I must say I am getting slightly suspicious over the number of times that Alpkit gets mentioned on here.

Anyone has the liberty to start a thread about any company or product, but not the company themselves.

However, if they are an advertiser on this site AND have a Commercial profile (which they pay for) they can respond to questions or statements about their gear.......DMM, amongst others, do this also.

Incidently we are in talks with RAB...a very forward looking company with great products about advertising at UKC. Also many retailers who advertise at UKC sell and advertise on here RAB products. You will often see banners here advertising RAB products.

As regards Alpkit....they are completely web savvy and use this media to their advantage. Many companies could learn a lot from their approach.

Mick
 TobyA 08 Feb 2007
In reply to J1234: Come on, I also had a knee jerk reaction to say "hmmph! clever way of getting loads of free advertising", but resisted it because if Alpkit gets free advertising by a) having a sense of humour, b) treating their customers very well and responding to even indirect (i.e. on here) communication and c) coming up with a novel and clever business model - then they really deserve it.

They make a living and add to the economy, and we get very well priced products. What's wrong with that?

BTW - my mate has a Phud and its seems just as good as my Beal mat and cost him less.
> (In reply to bedspring)
> [...]
>
> Anyone has the liberty to start a thread about any company or product, but not the company themselves.

Unless it is a Premier Post.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/premier.html
 sutty 08 Feb 2007

There is also the snob value, some people want a big name and some just want something that does what it says, Alpkit seems to have tuned into that market.
Hjonesy 08 Feb 2007
> (In reply to bedspring)
> [...]
>
> Anyone has the liberty to start a thread about any company or product, but not the company themselves.
>
> However, if they are an advertiser on this site AND have a Commercial profile (which they pay for) they can respond to questions or statements about their gear.......DMM, amongst others, do this also.
>
> Incidently we are in talks with RAB...a very forward looking company with great products about advertising at UKC. Also many retailers who advertise at UKC sell and advertise on here RAB products. You will often see banners here advertising RAB products.
>
> As regards Alpkit....they are completely web savvy and use this media to their advantage. Many companies could learn a lot from their approach.
>
> Mick

*Gasp* - Will you be able to negotiate RAB discounts through UKC?? Please Mick can you, please, please?????
 Tiggs 08 Feb 2007
In reply to TobyA: Absolutely. Any firm that can provide good products, customer service and is quick on their feet and witty in promoting their company in the process deserves to succeed.

And it was worth it to see Glyn called a 'forum character' by Mick....
In reply to Hjonesy:
> [...]
>
>
> *Gasp* - Will you be able to negotiate RAB discounts through UKC?? Please Mick can you, please, please?????

I'll mention that to Neil at RAB.

Mick

Hjonesy 08 Feb 2007
> (In reply to Hjonesy)
> [...]
>
> I'll mention that to Neil at RAB.
>
> Mick

Would probably have been handy for me a couple of months ago before I'd spent hundreds of pounds on their stuff but I could ALWAYS be cajoled into parting with my salary on the offer of a discount for them. Oooooh RAB.....love 'em!

J1234 08 Feb 2007
In reply to sutty:
Actually I think that Alpkit has a certain cachet, pull out a Gelert headtorch and your the guy with a "cheap" headtorch, pull out your Alpkit headtorch and your the guy in the know. I think the Alpkit crew are ace marketeers and deserve every succes, however it`s knowing how good they are at marketing that made me a little suspicious.
Cheers Beds
 Tiggs 08 Feb 2007
In reply to J1234: If Glyn gets his sleeping bag and its quality is good the clever marketing is just a bonus. Its slick marketing not backed by good product and customer service that you should be suspicious of.
 Glyn Jones 08 Feb 2007
In reply to J1234:
> I must say I am getting slightly suspicious over the number of times that Alpkit gets mentioned on here. Cheers Beds

UKC has been very helpful to me since my return to climbing;

I've bought from

Needlesport
Field&Trek
Rockfax (Rock & Run?)
Snow & Rock
Rocksport
Rock On (Craggy)
Blue Lagoon
Outside
Fox's
and an outdoor warehouse link (for my Rab jacket) that CJD or someone posted when talking about women's helly hansens!!

These have been because of recommendations from posters.
 Glyn Jones 08 Feb 2007
Forgot to say - they were all excellent.
 nikinko 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to bedspring) If Glyn gets his sleeping bag and its quality is good ...

so glyn,

could you very kindly to an emergency bivi in it without bivi bag or hot food this weekend in the snow and let us know how you get on please?
 Glyn Jones 08 Feb 2007
In reply to nikinko: i'll do my best - it has to arrive first but will report back next week as long as I've not succumbed to frostbite!
 nikinko 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

and there was me naivly thinking the guy in the snow shoes was about to knock on your door!
 Glyn Jones 09 Feb 2007
In reply to All: The sleeping bag successfully arrived this morning - very prompt service!
 sutty 09 Feb 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

Now how did you get that 11,32 timing spot on to post exactly 24 hours after Micks?
 Glyn Jones 09 Feb 2007
In reply to sutty: Shhh Sutty, I am in real life Mick!!!

hehe!
 timjones 09 Feb 2007
> (In reply to CJD)
> [...]
>
> Not at all. Very fast. Great Ben Nevis report from Dan Bailey and a lovely human interest about 'our' Glynn.

Surely calling "Man orders sleeping bag" a human interst story is stretching the credulity of your readers to the limits. If you really think we're all so dumb we'd best find a better source for climbing news!
 Tyler 09 Feb 2007
In reply to timjones:

> If you really think we're all so dumb we'd best find a better source for climbing news!

Go on then! I'm sure we'd all be happy to know about such a source. In the mean time I'll happily put up with stories of lesser interest, after all it cost me about 3 seconds of my time and none of my money.
 Justin T 09 Feb 2007
In reply to timjones:

I don't know any of the people involved but this still made me chuckle yesterday. Are you naturally this grumpy of have you also just looked at the forecast for the weekend?
OP Michael Ryan 09 Feb 2007
In reply to timjones:
> [...]
>
> Surely calling "Man orders sleeping bag" a human interst story is stretching the credulity of your readers to the limits. If you really think we're all so dumb we'd best find a better source for climbing news!

Hi Tim,

There's a great mix of news on the UKClimbing.com news page.

34 news items in January 2007.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=01&year=2007

This particular news item generated on the UKC forums, was laugh out loud funny to many. Yes it really is an internal UKC news item and it isn't often we do this. But I thought it worthy of a mention.

Mick

thin bob 09 Feb 2007
In reply to timjones:
I know it's difficult to tell in an e-mail...but if you're -serious-, the best source would probably be up yer own r's... hee hee and that is meant in jest, honest.

the story made me laugh and think nice thoughts. so it made me happy...and that's just the thought of thing that catches people's imagination & -should- be news! [just like the cute bit at the end of Trevor McDonald being serious]. Good on yer, Mick, Nick and Glynn.

I must stop now, i think i'm about 3 feet up my own fundament and see a tricky bend coming up ahead...
 timjones 09 Feb 2007
In reply to quadmyre:
> (In reply to timjones)
>
> I don't know any of the people involved but this still made me chuckle yesterday. Are you naturally this grumpy of have you also just looked at the forecast for the weekend?

The original forum post linking to the Alpkit page MAde me chuckle. The claim that it was a "human interest STory" was just plain laughable

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...