A Sad Day: Bob Whittaker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Phil Kelly 05 Jul 2004
Sadly, Bob Whittaker passed away this morning in Springhill Hospice, Rochdale.

Bob had been suffering from cancer for some time, and I'm sure everyone who knew Bob will join me in offering our sincere condolences to Jan his wife and their two sons.

Bob was a popular climber and guidebook author in the Chew Valley, Lancashire and the Peak District areas, making significant first ascents as Quarrymaster and Mindbender in Dovestones, and an early repeat of Central Wall at Dib Scar.

Once funeral arrangements have been confirmed, we will post them here.
 Al Evans 05 Jul 2004
In reply to Phil Kelly: Thats terrible news Phil, I didnt even know he was ill. A pillar of Lancs climbing.
I climbed (and drank) with him on more than one occaision .
Condolences to all his family and loved ones.
Al
Ian Butterworth 05 Jul 2004
In reply to Phil Kelly: Bob was such an active member the Lancs climbing scene he will be sadly missed. I haven't climbed with Bob for more than 30 years or even met him for 20 but still feel a sense of loss. I'll be thinking of his family and friends.
OP Anonymous 06 Jul 2004
In reply to Phil Kelly: Sorry to hear about Bob not only a great new router, finding all sorts of possibilities in the Lancashire Area, but a great coach of kids in Rochdale that nobody else could be bothered to help introduce to climbing. Great guy! Loved his climbing purely for climbings sake.
OP jay taylor 06 Jul 2004
In reply to Phil Kelly:

a great guy, brilliant climber and will be sadly missed throughout the lancashire community
Phil Kelly 07 Jul 2004
In reply to Phil Kelly:

Bob's funeral will be held next Tuesday, 13th July at Rochdale Crematorium on Bury Road, Rochdale.

I know that Jan has been comforted by the expressions of condolences on this thread and that all climbers are welcome to come along to the ceremony to pay their respects.

Phil
Pete Reynolds 07 Jul 2004
In reply to Phil Kelly:

Unfortunately i didnt know Bob well but am forever indebted to him because i went on a beginners and then a leaders climbing course at Balderstone climbing wall about eleven years, both run by him. Climbing has been the central point of my life since then. Growing up in Rochdale and learning to climb on the local crags you can't avoid his classic routes and one in particular is Screwy at Cows Mouth - what a fantastic and challenging climb for E2, and for Bob to do that circa 1963 is incredible! I take my hat off to you Bob.
pmcmahon 08 Jul 2004
Bob..not just a good friend.,the best! never had any inclination, myself, re. climbing but I saw his enthusiasm and candid approach in action which prompted beginners to think seriously about the 'activity'. God bless the guy!
ian boyle 11 Jul 2004
In reply to Phil Kelly: I have been climbing with Bob for the past 7/8 years and in the last month he wanted to show me crags which we had not yet visited in that time! His last efforts were to try and recount his visits for others to enjoy. This is the mark of the man. He helped so many people, young and old, to enjoy climbing and will be sadly missed. Thoughts go to Jan, Alex and Rob in this time of sorrow and loss.
MIKE ,DIANE COLLINSON &BOY 12 Jul 2004
What a nice man Bob was we did not see a great deal of each other but when we did see him on our way round the avenue we always got a wave or a kind word or two ,we are fairly distant neighbours but we will miss his presence and this bad old world will be the worse for his passing.
Our deep respects go to his wife Janet and their two sons.
Kind regards from Mike,Diane and Family at no 23 xxx.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...