Trans K9 dog car crates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AJK87 24 Apr 2024

Up to now we've carried our Border Collie loose in our boot on all journeys including motorway journeys. He lies horizontally right up against the back of the rear seats and travels really well. I've always felt that whilst he isn't restrained, as he's up against the seats he wouldn't travel far in the event of an accident.

I recently saw a post on my partners Facebook posted by a woman who was rear ended by a van travelling at 70mph on the motorway. Her cocker spaniel was in a Trans K9 crate. The rear of the car was severely stoved in and there's no doubt that without being in the crate the dog might have been badly injured or killed. 

Naturally, seeing this has made me reflect on our current way of transporting our dog.

I know people will likely have very different views on this and that where animals welfare is concerned it can be an emotive topic - I'm not looking to start a debate, but am keen to hear others views on carrying dogs loose in the boot vs in a crash tested crate such as the one mentioned.

Also keen to hear from anyone who has one of the C23 Trans K9 crates which fits in Octavia's, A4's etc, with particular reference to it's suitability size wise for a medium sized Collie.

We have an Octavia and the C23 is the model that would fit our car, we're concerned that it might not be big enough for our dog to be comfortable though.

Thanks in advance

oldbloke 24 Apr 2024
In reply to AJK87:

The breeder from whom we got our dog insists on these cages for his own dogs.  Local to him some dogs in one survived a crash where the pickup they were in rolled and became very not pickup shaped, particular damage to the load area where the dogs had been.

Ours is always in a cage - to protect us from being hit by her as much as to protect her.

JoshOvki 24 Apr 2024
In reply to AJK87:

When I carry my dog (also a border collie) in my wife's car I get very nervous about him in the boot and someone rear ending us. Normally he is in the van in a crate, which is behind the drivers seat so pretty well protected.

If I could a. get a Trans K9 create for the car; b. convince my wife to let me put it in the car; Then I would without hesitation. Dimensions of the C23 should be fine for a standard sized collie, you don't want it too big.

ejh 24 Apr 2024
In reply to AJK87:

I bought one of these when my collie was a pup having seen it work well for a friend who has a lab. I I would recommend it. Footprint is same size as her rectangular bed and she tends to curl up anyway rather than stretch out when travelling. 

OP AJK87 24 Apr 2024
In reply to AJK87:

Thanks for the replies

stubbed 24 Apr 2024
In reply to AJK87:

Travelling by car is a worry for me but our massive greyhound is too big for a crate. He wouldn't be able to turn around (he can barely stand up in the car as it is) and I think that's more important for his well being. We minimise his travel by car as he doesn't like leaving home much anyway.

Bellie 24 Apr 2024
In reply to AJK87:

We have a transport crate which fits the Q5.  It fits the shape of the boot and slopes inward from the base of the back edge of the car... basically the full size of the boot.

So in reality if you collie is ok in the boot of your car, it should be ok in the crate.

If you have a crate in your house for the dog to sleep in and rest, then it will also be used to the idea of being in a crate.  Otherwise you could put the transport crate in the house to get them used to it.  A dog will be comfortable in one.

We got ours after similar posts by dog owners.

OP AJK87 24 Apr 2024
In reply to Bellie:

We're only looking at getting a single model not double, ie: half, or just over half the width of our Octavia boot. The crate will be particularly important when going on holiday, in which case we need boot space. this is why we're concerned about it being big enough. It also means the hound will have to lie longitudinally rather than horizontally along the back of the seats as he's used to. Might sound daft or a little soft but irrespective of the spaciousness just the change of orientation could unnerve him, the joys of sensitive Collies.

Thanks for the reply and insight though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...