Toyota Auris hybrid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 riff156 15 Apr 2024

Hi

Anyone on here own a Toyota Auris hybrid estate and if so do you rate them and how is the fuel economy/ mpg on say motorway driving? I appreciate it’s pretty good round town due to the electric side it curious on long journeys, 

cheers all

In reply to riff156:

I run a Prius from 2005 (assume similar drive train?) and I get around 65mpg on long motorway journeys. Between 40-52mpg in town as the batteries are fairly old now. The hybrid system is genius as things that would normally go on cars, such as brakes, clutch etc don't really ever get used. 

montyjohn 15 Apr 2024
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I've got a Lexis RX hybrid 2006 and the hybrid systems are awesome on them. Gearboxes are bullet proof, power delivery is very smooth and there's no starter motor, alternator, clutch etc. Engine has a pretty easy life as the motors kick in under larger loads and very slow driving.

Main disadvantage is thieves like nicking the cats from Lexus/Toyota hybrids.

In reply to montyjohn:

> Main disadvantage is thieves like nicking the cats from Lexus/Toyota hybrids.

Oh yeah, we've had two cats stolen, second time was a partial as we had a cat protector on. London is especially bad for it due to taxis. From what I heard at the time Toyota was supposed to be designing their cars in the future with cats not so easily nickable. Obviously EV's eliminate the issue...

montyjohn 15 Apr 2024
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

After mine got stolen I build a welded metal box (5mm thick) that bolted around the cat. Not had a problem since. I suspect they crawl under from time to time, see a metal box and move on.

The braided wire protectors they just cut straight through them. Waste of money. In fact I think the companies that sell them should be sued for false claims about their product.

LastBoyScout 16 Apr 2024
In reply to riff156:

I don't own one, but I did test drive one and then, by coincidence, went to North Wales in a friend's company car one.

Suffice to say, I hated it and therefore didn't buy one.

montyjohn 16 Apr 2024
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Reasons? Your reasons may not be valid for OP so useful to know why?

LastBoyScout 16 Apr 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

> Reasons? Your reasons may not be valid for OP so useful to know why?

Indeed - something came up and I didn't finish the post properly.

1 - I found it under-powered at the time and had concerns about it fully loaded with boats on the roof, etc. The salesman did say they were looking at putting a more powerful engine in it, so that may no longer be an issue.

2 - the constand background whine of the electric motor, which got particularly tedious on the motorway. I can hear fairly high-pitched sounds (like those ultrasonic cat repellant things).

3 - poor handling. Again, may no longer be an issue in later models.

4 - bland looks and plasticky interior.

I actually ended up complaining to the dealership about harrassment from the salesman, who kept ringing me up asking if I'd made a decision and offering me this, that and the other as incentives to buy a car I didn't like in the first place.

jkarran 16 Apr 2024
In reply to riff156:

My parents in-law have one. From memory it does low 60-something to the gallon mixed use and is nice enough inside. I've never driven it so no idea on that. Isofix places are just far enough apart that a small person can squeeze into the gap for short runs but thus also close to the rear doors. It's blue, outside, grey and plastic inside, I like the paint. That's about all I remember about it.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...