Not so recent birds part 3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 09 Apr 2024

Saw my first blackcap of the spring on Sunday morning, with chiffchaff singing and showing OK, together with Siskin (no photo). A long range greenshank and turnstone getting some summer plumes. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Red breasted mergansers. Cracking birds. 

storm-petrel 10 Apr 2024

> Red breasted mergansers. Cracking birds. 

Can't argue with that - one of my favourites.

I've been taking advantage of the current very high tides to get a last few pics of the wintering waders and wildfowl before they head north, as well as the first arrivals of breeding birds from further south. Our wintering Dunlins will soon be heading for the far north, to be replaced by summer breeders arriving from Africa.

Some recent highlights have included up to 6000 Eiders around the shores of the Furness Peninsular, 500+ Brent Geese, 400+ Golden Plovers all in breeding plumage, large flocks of winter plumaged Knot getting ready to leave, breeding plumaged Black-tailed Godwits arriving, wintering Goldeneyes still present in moderate numbers, the usual pre breeding build up of Red-breasted Mergansers, and the first few hundred Sandwich Terns arriving. More Sandwich Terns will soon follow along with Common, Arctic and Little. Gannets are starting to appear off Walney Island although I've yet to see my first Manx Shearwaters of the year, whilst Red-throated Diver numbers seem to be building, some already in breeding plumage, before they too head north.

Soon it will be time to head off to the seabird colonies, starting with my local (ish) one at St Bees. Everything happens so quickly at this time of year.

Post edited at 14:31

In reply to storm-petrel:

Great photos. The tides on the Ribble estuary have been crazy - pity I’ve been too busy to get out there.  And lots of migrants popping up, ring ouzels and pied flycatchers (seen by others, not me….yet).  

Edit: first willow warbler this morning. Took a rubbish photo, but it had darker legs than the above chiffie, glad I heard them both singing !  And a few blackcaps as well. 

Post edited at 14:38

Nice photos. Not seen a Blackcap yet this year, so must look out for them again.

Re RB mergansers, saw a pair on Sat and was so close as they came near the shore (closest I’ve ever been) that I snapped some photos though still to process.

Wet weather has returned this week, so no bird watching other than the garden ones. Must have a pair of Blue Tits and a pair of Great Tits nesting nearby as they are regular early morning visitors for peanuts and seeds. 

Nice photos and thanks for other helpful info. Never knew about wintering Dunlins moving further north for example. Lots to learn.

Michael Hood 10 Apr 2024

Some cracking photos there.

Soon be time to visit the Hodbarrow tern colony with the Black-headed gulls looking pissed off at all the noise from the terns that wasn't there when they were the first to reserve their bit of the real estate 😁

storm-petrel 11 Apr 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Soon be time to visit the Hodbarrow tern colony with the Black-headed gulls looking pissed off at all the noise from the terns that wasn't there when they were the first to reserve their bit of the real estate 😁

Keep an eye open for the pair of Mediterranean Gulls lurking in amongst the Black-headed. The noise from the terns is pretty impressive once the breeding season gets properly underway.

Michael Hood 11 Apr 2024

Can't remember if I've seen Mediterranean at Hodbarrow, certainly seen them nesting amongst the Black-headed elsewhere. Thanks for the tip, I'll remember to check when I'm there.

Just been out to one of my "localish" spots that I visit every month or so - first Willow Warblers of the year, loads of them. I'd forgotten how uplifting their song is, especially with some Curlews calling as well.

And I also spent quite a time watching 2 Short-eared Owls - no idea if they were a pair, both when they were flying and just sat on the ground. They are such a joy to watch.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...